Antibiotic use for Respiratory problem

Ridgetopchicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 9, 2014
What is the safest procedure when using an injectable antibiotic on a hen with a respiratory infection? How long do you wait before you can use the eggs?

Not sure if it is bacterial. Vet used oxytetracycline injectable. I tried purchasing the antibiotic myself and the company says that once I use it I can never use the eggs again. Doc says after 14 days they should be fine. I want to make sure our eggs are free of antibiotics.

No offense but I'd be sure what is wrong before I'd treat with antibiotics.
Respiratory problems could also be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental or nutritional. Also some bacterial infections have no effective treatment.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I trusted the vet to know what was wrong. I just want to know if I can still use my eggs (after a waiting period) after using an antibiotic. Some antibiotic developers tell me that I can never use the eggs again...

I trusted the vet to know what was wrong. I just want to know if I can still use my eggs (after a waiting period) after using an antibiotic. Some antibiotic developers tell me that I can never use the eggs again...

That's because they didnt want to spend big money testing eggs for residual drug amounts. For liability reasons it's easier to say 'not for consumption' after using their product. Your vet said 14 days, that's what I'd go by.

ChickenCanoe made a good point; if it's other than a respiratory bacterial infection, antibiotics are ineffective. Additionally even with successful antibiotic treatment, surviving birds remain carriers for the rest of their lives and will spread whatever disease it is to other birds. Some diseases can be passed through eggs as well. I recommend that you cull sick birds and practice biosecurity.

Thanks for your replies. We have isolated the two hens that are obviously ill. Vet left injectable antibiotic for us to use on them. Will hope for the best with the rest of our flock and just medicate those that look ill.

Hi,

I just saw your recent thread. Did both your sick hens recover, I hope?

What were the symptoms for your sick hens? One of mine is having some kind of respiratory problem, but her only symptom is trouble breathing -- no swollen eyes or other symptoms I usually see discussed in conjunction with such problems. She's slightly lethargic, too, but that's always the case when they feel poorly.

Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom