Antibiotics and chicks, help! ****UPDATE!!!!****

I found the following on the internet, it is for a specific brand of amoxicillin but it does show the equivalency and how much of theirs to put in the water. My concern is that it won't really help what you are trying to treat. I will take another look for you and get you closer to the dosage if you want to pursue. Anne

Here is the web site link:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/paracillin-sp-can.html

Description

Paracillin
00ae.png
SP is a soluble powder containing 800 mg/g amoxicillin trihydrate (equivalent to 697 mg amoxicillin) and has been specially formulated to promote rapid and complete dissolution. Paracillin
00ae.png
SP will not block nipple drinkers or water lines. The maximum solubility of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP is 3 g/Litre, although solubility may be increased by use of water conditioner powder.
Paracillin SP Indications

Paracillin
00ae.png
SP is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by bacteria susceptible to amoxicillin, including:

Chickens:

- Colibacillosis, peritonitis caused by non-β-lactamase-producing E. coli

- Salmonellosis caused by non-β-lactamase-producing Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica

- Respiratory tract infections caused by non-β-lactamase-producing E. coli

Paracillin SP Dosage And Administration

It is recommended to administer Paracillin
00ae.png
SP once daily via the drinking water, using either a tank or water proportioner. A measure is provided in the packaging which, when level, will contain approximately 10 g of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP.

It is advisable to restrict drinking water for approximately 2 hours (less in hot weather) prior to medication.
Chickens

The recommended dosage is 10-20 mg Paracillin
00ae.png
SP, to provide 8-16 mg amoxicillin trihydrate, per kg body weight per day, for a period of 3-5 consecutive days. The higher dosage is advised when treating severe infections. To calculate the amount of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP required per day, the following formula may be used:

grams Paracillin
00ae.png
SP/day

=

number of birds x average live weight (kg)

50 (for 20 mg/kg) or 100 (for 10 mg/kg)
Tank Method:

Ensure there is no access to unmedicated water while medicated water is being offered. Any unused medicated water should be discarded immediately after the treatment period.

Make a stock solution, by scattering the calculated amount of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP onto the surface of 5-10 Litres of water and stirring until completely dissolved. Dilute this stock solution by stirring into a tank of water sufficient to provide the volume of medicated drinking water that will be consumed in approximately two hours. The normal water supply should be resumed after this time.
Water Proportioner Method:

To calculate the amount of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP required to medicate the total daily drinking water intake, the following is a guide:

Birds 0-4 weeks of age: 6-12 g Paracillin
00ae.png
SP/100 Litres of water

Birds older than 4 weeks: 10-20 g Paracillin
00ae.png
SP/100 Litres of water

Make a stock solution, by scattering the calculated amount of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP onto the surface of 5-10 Litres of water and stirring. Dilute this stock solution by using a water proportioner calibrated to deliver medicated drinking water containing the appropriate concentration of Paracillin
00ae.png
SP, sufficient to provide the volume of medicated drinking water that will be consumed in approximately two hours. The normal water supply should be resumed after this time.

Ahhh I love it when all the questions get answered! <3 Thank you!

OK, that gives me a clear picture then. Good that the drainage isn't gunky. If they were my very own flock, I'd just boost their immune system and not treat. We're not even certain this is a bacterial infection. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria and, since chicken systems are highly dependant on bacteria, I don't like to kill the good bacteria until it's absolutely necessary. (Too many cases of secondary bacterial digestive tract infections come of it - then you have to use yet ANOTHER antibiotic, then they just stop being thrifty).

I'd use the VetRx as directed, making sure to apple the diluted VetRx as indicated for eye-worm. I don't think this IS eyeworm, but that's how I'd use it.

Here are the instructions:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/assets/label_info/16803.htm

This is not a medication, but it does help in slight issues like this. Again I personally wouldn't medicate until the the birds decline at all. Then I'd consider it. I'm not certain that Amoxi would be the medicine I'd use for this. I'd go more for a duramycin if I were going to finally medicate. This'll give you a bit of time to see what's going on.

Thank you again for answering all of my questions! I'm very pleased to see annek's very helpful post!

I appreciate all the great information.. I have her sitting in my hand right now... it's starting to worry me as she is not eating/drinking as much as she was.. I know she's getting something in her system because she just pooped and it was completely normal... I thought another one had watery eyes but maybe it was the light or something because darn if I can't find it now... But, I did notice something different with the sick one.. when i had her in the bathroom on the floor for a minute, she was walking backwards.. didn't notice that in the coop but she don't run around like the rest of them either...
barnie.gif
I am so frustrated!

Goddess:jumpy

I think it's something in her resp system because I hear like clicking noises when she breathes and she opens her mouth half of the time... But, on a good note, I took some of the feed, a little honey and mixed it and basically made a drink... Hopefully getting some nutrients in her will perk her up... I put it in a shotglass and if I put it to her beak, she does take it...

***UPDATE***

I had her in the house with me for a little while and did get her to drink some of the solution I concocted.. I put her back out with the rest of them before it gets cooler outside and she gets chilled (we don't have AC in the house) She was very off balanced when I put her back but she did manage to stagger to the food and begin eating on her own which is a good thing.. I will see how she is before i go to bed and then again in the morning.. Oh, and before someone asks (lol) yes, I have checked them all thoroughly for lice/mites and have found nothing... Figured I would throw that little tidbit in there... lol

Last edited:
Ok.. I figured I would post an update for everyone...

First off, i want to than everyone for their fantastic input, both for and against as well as other alternatives... After much thought and consideration, and a LOT of reading and research I decided to go ahead and TRY the amoxicillin.. I have a tiny little spoon (from sea monkey's way back when) and put about 1/3 full of the powder (if you've seen this spoon, it's VERY tiny) into some water mixed with food to make a very soupy mix and mixed a little honey in it.. I Know there is in no way I put enough in to overdose her.. I saw a DRASTIC improvement in her today..
yippiechickie.gif
I know some of you may be against it but I figured, if she was going to die, at least I can say I tried *something* to prevent it.. She was going downhill fast! Today, I noticed that she was more mobile and while I held her she had a lot more spunk than she's had in 2 weeks... Her eyes are MUCH clearer and the water in her eyes is almost non existent! Also, when i made up her little "concoction" (granted i forgot the honey this time, oops!) she drank it on her own, unlike yesterday where I had to keep putting it up to her beak.. And the last thing I noticed was that she was not breathing through her beak while she was outside like she had been, although she did start doing it when I brought her in the house (as I've said before, we don't have air conditioning so it's very hot and stuffy in the house)... Now, I'm not "counting my chickens before they hatch" just yet.. I will see if she is continuing to get better tomorrow and update everyone again.. And again, I would like to thank everyone.. Even though no one had the "perfect" solution, y'all gave me enough information to make a very informed decision.. I am very thankful to this site and everyone on it.. I keep up with everyone's stories very closely and my heart goes out to those who have lost their babies... Also, I have continued the vitamins and have finally gone to the store and got them grapes (seedless of course), mustard greens, plain yogurt and oatmeal!

Here is the newest update... Today was day 3 on amoxicillin for my 3 week old chick.. She is doing wonderfully as far as whatever her illness was... Her eyes are *completely* clear and she just seems so much better... Of course, there always has to be something, right? Of course there is!!! When I went out to give them their vitamins and give her the medicine, I put her down on top of the laying boxes and noticed she was hopping and limping instead of walking... I picked her up and put her on her back (which was not a fun task!) and checked out the leg she was favoring.. Nothing wrong with it at all.. Size, shape, color... All normal.. As I moved it around and pushed and prodded and bent... She didn't make a peep... Ok... Is it possible she got used to the attention and now that she's better she has to "act" like something is wrong?? LOL I'm baffled!!!!!!!

Not really sure Punkin... I have made sure that because she wasn't moving around very much that I took her in the house and had her standing on my lap and always tried to keep her away from where they sleep in the coop so she *had* to move... I will keep an eye on her and give another update again tomorrow... Other than her leg thing, she's hopping around just fine...

Back
Top Bottom