Antibiotics and chicks, help! ****UPDATE!!!!****

GreenGoddess

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 6, 2009
St Pauls, NC
Ok.. I think my other thread has just about died so I'm gonna try it this way... lol... Here's what I put in the other two...

OMG OMG OMG!!!

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.. Ok.. I know you can give different "human" antibiotics to chicks and chickens for infections.. Unfortunately, I live on a *very* tight budget.. Well, ok.. I don't have a budget lol... Business is very slow right now and I wouldn't be able to go to the feed store til friday.. BUT, I do have some amoxicillin that my son was taking (in capsule) form that he didn't finish because the capsules themselves have red dye (can't have it) so he was put on something else.. Would I be able to give this to them in case they do have some sort of resp problem starting? I have pics below where you can see the chicks.. As you see, only one is having a problem.. If I can give this to them, how much do I give them? They are 250mg caps and I *know* that would be way too much.. But, would a pinch in their water everyday hurt them? Can I mix it with the vitamins and ACV in the water? Still none of the others have showed any signs.. They are all bouncing around and trying to fly like chicks should be.. Maybe she scratched her eyes on the feeder??

this is a pic of my little 3 week old
Photo_060909_003.jpg

this is the other eye
Photo_060909_006.jpg

this is the "adoptive mom"
Photo_060909_005.jpg

this is the other three
Photo_060909_007.jpg

and just because it's funny, this is the lightest one of the group and is the only one who don't have tail feathers yet.. I swear he looks like a turkey when he stretches his neck out.. lol
Photo_060909_008.jpg

What about a little "sprinkle" of amoxicillin?? I just did a broad search for amox on here and found that amoxicillin and doxycycline <sp> are safe for chicks and I have both and still in date... Which would you say was better if it were a resp prob? And, how much would I give? The Amox is 250mgand doxy is 100mg.. both capsules...

Ok.. So, anybody???

Goddess:jumpy

Last edited:
hey, i HATE it when i post a question and no one responds, so i'm just chiming to say, hey, you're not invisible.
smile.png

and i have read that amoxicillin is good for chickens, but i have no idea about the dosage.

and this time of day, it's usually quiet, so hopefully late tonight you'll have a lot more responses.

i hope i do too.

in the mean time, you might do a search on amoxicillin and see if you find something that mentions dosage.

how's your baby doin' today?

I appreciate the support and "bump" from ya.. I've been doing research but the ONLY thing I have found was a study done to say 10g/kg of chick.. Unfortunately, I've never had a need for a scale that weighs in grams and kg.. lol... I now have 2 of them showing the same symptoms.. So, i NEED to do something quick... The way I see it, If I give them a little "pinch" and get it in them, it's better than doing nothing at all.. right?? I don't want to lose these little babies...

When people don't answer up, it is because they don't know, or you are asking them something that is risky business.

I wouldn't give them amoxicillan, but this is just my opinion.

Rufus

As far as sprinkling, no never ever. You have to exactly dose them, dose them for the correct length of time, or don't use antibiotics at all - and unless there's a major reaction (like what happened with the dye) once started, antibiotics should never be stopped.

So ' a little pinch' can do way more harm than none.

In your case, let's see what we can do.

First, we'll need more information. The pictures weren't very clear to me so if you could describe exactly what's going on. What are they eating (amprolium chick starter?), did they just get introduced with this adult chicken? No problems before? (This is what I suspect -that newly introduced to this adult, they are exposed to something she carries and they're fighting it now). The stuff on their eyes- is it bubbly, clear, gunky like pink eye in a kid? Just offwhite and sticky?

Are their droppings alright? Are they in a warm enough environment since they're not entirely feathered yet?

If you save the sick baby, he's likely going to be a carrier of whatever he has. That's something you'll have to remember when adding new birds or if you sell them. Just keep that in mind. Some people cull sick birds. i personally do not, as I just have a few and as pets.

On the sick one, he'll need to be kept in the usual good chick environment: correct temperature especially without buddies to cuddle, make sure he eats, drinks, same bedding as you're using. (Make sure there's NO cedar in there btw.)

You'll want to rinse his eyes daily with eye-wash saline. The stuff in the bottle - I wouldn't make my own for eyes. You can find sterile eye wash at the drug store - ask the pharmacist to make sure it's for eye injuries. Flush daily or twice daily to clear the gunk out and keep his sinuses fresh. If you can get a bottle of Vet Rx, it's very inexpensive and lasts for months and months. I've had mine for a few years now, just a four ounce bottle! You can use this on his nares (nostrils), roof of his mouth, etc. It's like Vicks for chickens (and I wouldn't use vicks incidentally). If you can't afford it, go with saline on a q-tip to clean his nares, the roof of his mouth, etc. Use a new q-tip each time.

Keep him seperate. Give him a little bit of yogurt dailly - just about 1/4 teaspoon for the little guy. His sinuses will drain into his throat and into his digestive tract and give him diarrhea otherwise. Try to get him to eat a little boiled yolk. You can give this to all the birds to help them do better keeping from getting sick as well. Freeze what egg yolk you don't use so you don't waste any. Saves money. And the yogurt is plain if possible.

Other than that, if you can't get Sulmet or Duramycin for him and treat him with it, you could do the amoxi IF AND ONLY IF <---- NOTE you do a good dosage. I'm pretty awful about converting dosages unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can help, but if they don't see it PM me or wonderful Punkin and we'll flag someone down for you. I'm subscribing to your post, and I bet she is, too.

Let's start with this.

This is about Pigeons but it may help:

Antibiotic/antimicrobials
Name: Amoxicillin Trihydrate (Amoxil, Amoxi-drops, many others.)
Description: Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic analog of penicillin with a broad range of bacterial activity against many gram + and gram - bacteria.
Usage: Amoxicillin can be used with any bacterial infection showing susceptibility to the drug.
Adverse reactions: None seen with any frequency.
Dosage: 25 - 50 mg/Bird divided daily or 1500 - 3000 mg/gallon of water for 10 - 14 days.
Comments: Amoxicillin is very effective, well absorbed, safe, and well tolerated in the pigeon.

Found on the website: http://www.pigeoncote.com/vet/formulary/formulary.html#antibiotic

Good
Luck!

Edited for: Oh here is another one on broiler chickens that says 10 mg/kg at 24 hour intervals http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a784675774

Last edited:
Quote:
I am just going to try to help with your conversion. I can't help with the other stuff.

1 g = 0.002204 lb
OR 0 lb and 0.03 oz

if my recollection is correct, a kg is 1000 grams so
kg=2.204 lb

Let me know what the dosage of the pill is that you have-normally it is in milligram like 65 mg. I will try to get you an approximate dosage. Do you know how much the chick weighs?

Never mind, I see where you listed the pill dosage.....I will try to see if I can get close.

Last edited:
Thanks ThreeHorses!

First, we'll need more information. The pictures weren't very clear to me so if you could describe exactly what's going on. What are they eating (amprolium chick starter?), did they just get introduced with this adult chicken? No problems before? (This is what I suspect -that newly introduced to this adult, they are exposed to something she carries and they're fighting it now). The stuff on their eyes- is it bubbly, clear, gunky like pink eye in a kid? Just offwhite and sticky?

They are on Purina Starter grow.. They were bought at the same time with the older chick by the same local breeder.. Have been together since the day they hatched.. As for their eyes, It basically just looks like they are "crying".. It's clear.. The feathers around their eyes is a little "sticky" from them tearing so much but that's about it..

Are their droppings alright? Are they in a warm enough environment since they're not entirely feathered yet?

Dropping have been fine.. Have been keeping a *very* close eye on that and have noticed nothing out of the ordinary from any of them.. During the day it is very warm here and as soon as the temp started going down a little bit, they all huddle under the older one.. She (he?) acks like a momma hen with them and takes care of them at night... They have plenty of shade as well as sunlight to balance their temps during the day and also plenty of shelter from the rain... As for at night, they are quiet (no peeping unless they hear a noise when I take the dogs out and they get too close to the pen) and I've put my hand under the older one and it's nice and toasty!

If you save the sick baby, he's likely going to be a carrier of whatever he has. That's something you'll have to remember when adding new birds or if you sell them. Just keep that in mind. Some people cull sick birds. i personally do not, as I just have a few and as pets.

We have no intentions on selling or breeding these chicks.. They are pets and for eggs only...

On the sick one, he'll need to be kept in the usual good chick environment: correct temperature especially without buddies to cuddle, make sure he eats, drinks, same bedding as you're using. (Make sure there's NO cedar in there btw.)

NOPE!! I've done my research as far as that goes.. It's pine, grass and dirt only...

You'll want to rinse his eyes daily with eye-wash saline. The stuff in the bottle - I wouldn't make my own for eyes. You can find sterile eye wash at the drug store - ask the pharmacist to make sure it's for eye injuries. Flush daily or twice daily to clear the gunk out and keep his sinuses fresh. If you can get a bottle of Vet Rx, it's very inexpensive and lasts for months and months. I've had mine for a few years now, just a four ounce bottle! You can use this on his nares (nostrils), roof of his mouth, etc. It's like Vicks for chickens (and I wouldn't use vicks incidentally). If you can't afford it, go with saline on a q-tip to clean his nares, the roof of his mouth, etc. Use a new q-tip each time.

I have been cleaning it daily as suggested in an earlier post.. VetRx will have to wait til tomorrow unfortunately..

Back
Top Bottom