Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
I'm glad that has worked out for you. It doesn't always go so well for the rest of us.

Unfortunately I have been dealing with a prior owner of our property who raised livestock with a high parasite load in our soil (confirmed by a vet) and to my knowledge nobody yet has found a way to control the weather and prevent the wet cool springs we have here that make coccidia thrive in the soil no matter how much you rake and clean the runs.

Sometimes good management isn't enough. I do not believe in breeding for resistance either. I've had that little experience blow up in my face and lost over 2/3rds of my flock to Mareks thanks to birds that were 'resistant'. Things don't always go as you hope.

If my birds do become sick with something that only an antibiotic will cure, even if it's just a rooster with an infected eye from fighting, I want to be able to purchase medications that will save it's life and hopefully it's vision. And NO! There is no avian vet near me. I begged our local vet to help me when I suspected that I had Marek's in my flock. He treats emus and ostriches but won't touch a chicken and wouldn't help me other than telling me how to treat coccidia.

As I said. What and who this is hurting is the small flock holder like me who has no veterinary care available and who wants to treat a sick or injured bird.

Maybe we should en mass write our local elected representatives and tell them our stories. Maybe they can do something. I doubt it somehow. It's not an election year until next year. And after all, we are just chicken owners.

You can't rake coccidia out of the soil. It is everywhere in the world and will always be present in the intestines of animals with soil contact. That's why I don't put any stock into a vet diagnosis that cociddia are present in stool. Of course it is. It will always be there. If they didn't find it in chickens in contact with soil, their tech isn't good enough at detecting it.
It is true that good avian vets with poultry experience are as rare as hens' teeth, and have been for a while. There used to be 5 times as many poultry programs in vet schools as there are today. The only vets graduating from those usually work for the large poultry producers.

I see people list all the treats and supplements they give their chickens. Just cause the chickens go gaga for them, doesn't mean it is good for them. Kids will eat cake for breakfast and ice cream for dinner.
Provide a nutrient rich balanced poultry feed and those treats should be a couple times a week at most. They don't need warm oatmeal in the morning or a bowl of corn before bed or lots of fruits and vegetables. Does anyone who does so have an idea how those things affect the balanced nutrition in the feed?
These aren't dogs and cats one can overfeed, make obese and get help from any vet in the neighborhood. There are likely no vets for these livestock. One needs to start with a good nutritional approach from hatching or even from before collecting hatching eggs.

A resourceful person will find what they need no matter.
I'd suggest anyone overly worried educate yourself and become resourceful!
Im not talking chicken voodoo, home remedies etc.
I am talking extend your searching safety zone, get cozy with google translate or heck, shake hands with tor.
You could probably build a new chicken and never leave your house....not advocating building chickens, just sayin.:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom