Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
Hey, it's a forum after all. Different folks with different opinions. I love it.

So true about the soil. Our grass is loaded with all sorts of parasites that have been virulent enough to kill sheep. Is the exposure to a pre-existant and highly virulent form of Marek's (which was also probably existing on our property) what makes my birds more susceptible to coccidia in their first year? Could be. But think about this. What is next for them to 'ban'? How soon will we have to beg a vet for an RX for Corrid because we can no longer buy it, Safeguard, VetRX, Blu kote....the list goes on and it's a slippery slope.

Sometimes even with our best intentions and hard work as flock owners, something goes wrong, either by unintentional negligence/ignorance or due to circumstances beyond our control.

Sometimes we need Tylan, or terramycin in order to save a member of our flock. A lot of people on the site are small flock owners. They have the 6 much loved hens in the back yard of their suburban home and those hens are members of the family. What is to become of these owners?

There may be a point in the statement that this may cause a decline in the number of small flock owners, because let's face it. Setting aside the potential overuse of antibiotics (which I think fingers can be pointed more at the big production farms more than the back yard enthusiast) Without vets who will treat the birds and the USDA who has ruled that we cannot buy what we need from a reputable seller, these birds are going to die should they become sick or seriously injured.

A resourceful person will find what they need no matter.
I'd suggest anyone overly worried educate yourself and become resourceful!
Im not talking chicken voodoo, home remedies etc.
I am talking extend your searching safety zone, get cozy with google translate or heck, shake hands with tor.
You could probably build a new chicken and never leave your house....not advocating building chickens, just sayin.:)
Or just buy what you need now, and you probably won't need to replace it in a long time.

Antibiotics are OTC in Mexico. I imagine a lot of road trips in the future for flock keepers.;)
So let's advertise what would essentially be an illegal activity.

Since the drug would be illegal in the U.S without a prescription, and someone would be bringing it back over the border without a prescription that would be illegal. And yes, you will get stopped and inspected by border control and possibly the FDA.

Back
Top Bottom