Antibiotics will soon require vet prescription

Pics
Once again I will say that the problem does not lie with back yard flocks or herds. They will be the true victim here. The problem lies with the big cattle, pork and poultry producers that are trying to make the most money that they can from their product. And:

The FDA is the one writing the regulations that are giving them the right to have X amount of antibiotics and growth hormones in their meat products.
I won't get political either other than to say that there are meat products brought in from other countries and you as the consumer do not know what they have been fed or injected with when you serve them to your family. All the consumer knows is they had pork chops on sale at Wally World and the price was so good that you couldn't NOT buy them.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:I agree.

If you keep livestock here in this part of Catalonia, I believe the same applies in other areas in Spain and in some other countries, you have to register the creatures with your local council. They send a vet to take blood once a year and can, although such inspections are rare, come and inspect the conditions you keep the animals in.
For most livestock and many pets at some point they will get sick and/or injured. There are always exceptions but most people with say a sick or injured dog will take it to a vet.
For some unfathomable reason some chicken keepers think it's fine to carry out surgery and administer whatever drugs they can acquire without any professional guidance and checking to see if they can get vet care for the animals they get seems to be a bit of an after thought.
Perhaps some good advice would be don't get chickens, or any other creatures if you cannot access the necessary professional health care who can prescribe the correct medication.
For what reasons do you consider it necessary to take a chicken to the vet?

As far as I can tell, nobody is saying backyard flocks will not be able to access antibiotics.
You may have to take your animal to a vet to get some prescribed, or in some cases have a vet visit you.
What it may reduce is the unqualified person prescribing and the unwary buying. I'm all for that.
My cousins wife is a vet and that whole practice knows very little about chickens. Unless it’s an avian vet it’s a roll of the dice for the most part. She’s asked me all kinds of questions and I know the prices they charge which are crazy! For a chicken. People are totally nuts.

I mean exact illnesses?
:gig
That's the problem, most do not know the disease before trying various AB's.
If it doesn't work, try another<shrugs>
..if it does appear to work, then it's wildass guess as to what was treated and 'cured'.
Truthfully, most human doctors do the same.

Back
Top Bottom