Antibiotics

If you dont know if a, or which bacteria is the reason for this sneezing it's not good idea to give antibiotics imo.

Sometimes sneezing chickens heal without ab and sometimes sneezing chickens die with ab. And sometimes sneezing chickens cure with ab or die without ab.

Natural antibiotics for chickens are my first try. These include ACV, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, and bee pollen. If you can get propolis (a resin made by bees), that’s a very potent natural antibiotic for animals and people often used in place of penicillin. Some countries regulate it, I know America doesn’t. I’ve only given it to one of my chickens (he didn’t like it, but it didn’t hurt him any), but I have used it myself to treat a rather virulent salmonella infection. Good stuff.

As for chemical antibiotics, the only option for poultry-approved is a vet. TSC used to tell you you could use cattle antibiotics carefully and in moderation, but they must have gotten in trouble for it, because the ones around here don’t even carry those anymore.

There are a few people antibiotics that have been used in the past or are allowed in other countries. I admit, when my beloved rooster got sick last week, I felt very blessed to find a few leftover Metronidazole in the pantry (over 2 years old, but I took the chance). Metronidazole (brand name Flagyl) is approved for use in chickens according to my internet research, though I don’t remember where, and frankly I really didn’t care. My Hero is recovering. Whether it was because of the meds or not, I don’t know, but God help me, I did what I could.

That’s about all I know. If you have a sick bird, quarantine him/her and keep him safe, quiet, warm, and fed. Learn how to gently force feed, and what to give them (NutriDrench or molasses, grits, oatmeal, eggs, honey, yogurt, rice, bread, sprouted grain/fodder, sweet corn, bee pollen). Make sure you have a heater available. Above all, pay attention! Love your bird and he or she might live!

God bless and good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom