Antibiotics

Deneeze

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
What are back yard chicken owners using for upper respiratory infections in their birds? I didnt realized that you cannot get antibiotics without a prescription. I dont have a vet around here that takes care of chickens. My rooster sounds like he is sneezing. Any ideas?

Chickens sneeze like dogs, cats or humans. I'd look first in your environment for the cause, for example; ammonia fumes from soiled litter, dust or too much dander inside the coop, dust from dust bathing, inhalation of food particles, pollen, pesticide use, DE, debris in nostrils such as dirt or stuck food granule and so on. Sick sneezing birds show other visible symptoms as well, not just sneezing.
Are you seeing any other symptoms other than sneezing?

Natural antibiotics for chickens are my first try. These include ACV, garlic, cinnamon, oregano, and bee pollen. If you can get propolis (a resin made by bees), that’s a very potent natural antibiotic for animals and people often used in place of penicillin. Some countries regulate it, I know America doesn’t. I’ve only given it to one of my chickens (he didn’t like it, but it didn’t hurt him any), but I have used it myself to treat a rather virulent salmonella infection. Good stuff.

As for chemical antibiotics, the only option for poultry-approved is a vet. TSC used to tell you you could use cattle antibiotics carefully and in moderation, but they must have gotten in trouble for it, because the ones around here don’t even carry those anymore.

There are a few people antibiotics that have been used in the past or are allowed in other countries. I admit, when my beloved rooster got sick last week, I felt very blessed to find a few leftover Metronidazole in the pantry (over 2 years old, but I took the chance). Metronidazole (brand name Flagyl) is approved for use in chickens according to my internet research, though I don’t remember where, and frankly I really didn’t care. My Hero is recovering. Whether it was because of the meds or not, I don’t know, but God help me, I did what I could.

That’s about all I know. If you have a sick bird, quarantine him/her and keep him safe, quiet, warm, and fed. Learn how to gently force feed, and what to give them (NutriDrench or molasses, grits, oatmeal, eggs, honey, yogurt, rice, bread, sprouted grain/fodder, sweet corn, bee pollen). Make sure you have a heater available. Above all, pay attention! Love your bird and he or she might live!

God bless and good luck!

Last edited:
@VictoriaTemple Just for your information, molasses acts as a flush in chickens. I dont recommend it unless there are toxins involved or treating severe constipation in poultry. Poultry Nutri drench is great for chickens, full of minerals and vitamins for birds on the mend. However, I dont recommend using it for no more than 5-7 days straight, it will cause diarrhea, defeating the purpose of strengthening a bird back to good health.
I'm with you on the Metronidazole, great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom