Antibiotics-Found at Tractor Supply and Farm Supply

Apr 20, 2023
Coastal NC
While picking up our girls pellets over the weekend at our local TS store, I found several bottles of Antibiotics that were not located behind the glass cabinets. As of the end of June 2023 you must have a prescription to purchase what we used to be able to buy over the counter, so I was thrilled to find LA200, Tylan and Duramycin on top of the cabinet, so I took the LA200 to the front to check out praying they would not ask me for a prescription, and POW! I was able to purchase with no prescription, not sure why, but the date was still good so I didn't ask questions.

Our local vet charges $180 per hour to come out so I cannot afford this cost if one of our girls come down with something that maybe a simple antibiotic could take care of. Yes I keep multiple variations of Antibiotics on hand just for an emergency. I have had to resort to purchasing the "fish" Aqua Mox and Doxycycline but they are the same ingredients as the prescriptions anyway, so if you're out and about, check your local farm store like we did and you might end up finding something without having to obtain a prescription today. Soon enough we all will be forced to find alternatives but as a community of care takers, I bet we can share with each other how to save our chickens when a simple antibiotic might be the cure.

While picking up our girls pellets over the weekend at our local TS store, I found several bottles of Antibiotics that were not located behind the glass cabinets. As of the end of June 2023 you must have a prescription to purchase what we used to be able to buy over the counter, so I was thrilled to find LA200, Tylan and Duramycin on top of the cabinet, so I took the LA200 to the front to check out praying they would not ask me for a prescription, and POW! I was able to purchase with no prescription, not sure why, but the date was still good so I didn't ask questions.

Our local vet charges $180 per hour to come out so I cannot afford this cost if one of our girls come down with something that maybe a simple antibiotic could take care of. Yes I keep multiple variations of Antibiotics on hand just for an emergency. I have had to resort to purchasing the "fish" Aqua Mox and Doxycycline but they are the same ingredients as the prescriptions anyway, so if you're out and about, check your local farm store like we did and you might end up finding something without having to obtain a prescription today. Soon enough we all will be forced to find alternatives but as a community of care takers, I bet we can share with each other how to save our chickens when a simple antibiotic might be the cure.
Thank you for the research. ☺️ I was planning to go the Aqua Mox route with Chewy but never even looked in TSC, so going to check.

From my understanding they can continue to sell stock that they already had on hand prior to June 2023 without a prescription. Once they purchase new stock they will have to require a prescription. Not sure if that’s the case there or if your tsc are just lax in the rules.

From my understanding they can continue to sell stock that they already had on hand prior to June 2023 without a prescription. Once they purchase new stock they will have to require a prescription. Not sure if that’s the case there or if your tsc are just lax in the rules.
That is also what I've been told by 3 separate farm stores (TSC, Choice Hardware which is a hardware & farm combination store as I live in a very rural area of Utah, and a international farming supply company which has a location a few towns away from where I live). All started the same thing...Allowed to sell out what is currently in stock via OTC. After, however must obtain a license to continue offering any prescriptions.

Back
Top Bottom