Antibiotics Antibiotics Antibiotics

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Hi all,

I've been searching the forum threads for answers about antibiotics and ducks but still have questions.

I see lots of recommendations for Baytril, but as it is not readily available (will order for future) I'm wondering about usage of Amoxicillin,
Cephalexin, Penicillin and Corid, all of which can be gotten at our local feed store.

For others who might have access to different antibiotics, what any information about safe and effective antibiotics for ducks besides Baytril might be helpful as well if anyone has knowledge they can share.

Currently I have duck with a swollen lower leg and foot (she's been on enclosure rest, Meloxicam internally, Vetericyn topically but it's time to try a stronger approach), but I'm interested in information about antibiotics for ducks in general and think it would be helpful to have a localized thread on this topic (if we already have one I'm sorry I did not find it, please feel free to direct me there and we can let this one die)

Keep in mind that Poultry DVM was *not* created by a vet, nor has a vet blessed any of the content. It's a good resource, but there are many errors on it.

If you want to have antibiotics on hand, I think I would get amoxicillin, cephalexin, and enrofloxacin.

Corid (amprolium) is not an antibiotic. Waterfowl rarely get coccidiosis, so I wouldn't get it.

Keep in mind that Poultry DVM was *not* created by a vet, nor has a vet blessed any of the content. It's a good resource, but there are many errors on it.

If you want to have antibiotics on hand, I think I would get amoxicillin, cephalexin, and enrofloxacin.

Corid (amprolium) is not an antibiotic. Waterfowl rarely get coccidiosis, so I wouldn't get it.
Thank you - my local feed store listed Corid when I asked what antibiotics they carry - I had never heard of it, but didn't really look further than seeing that it didn't appear to be used for injuries. Makes sense that it's not an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom