Castor Oil for inflamed bumblefoot?

Yes, that's the stuff. Congrats, looks like you got a lot of infection out! Hopefully it will heal up quick and she'll be good to go in a few days.
Have you seen an infection look like this that I took out? I saw pics online of a round hard core and others say a stringy white substance, this was neither. I know with one of my drakes I removed a tiny tiny scab awhile back and there was a longish white, solid but you could move it substance but not like this. It was just under the scab and I pulled it out gently and it didn't seem to bother her

That's odd your vet wouldn't want it out as leaving it in is known to spread and can kill them. It's basically a staph infection so I understand the desire to treat it with antibiotics, but it's not that hard, especially for a vet, to just get it out and avoid the antibiotics. There are literally thousands I bet here on BYC if you searched that have taken it out. The only other way to avoid it is when it's in its early stages, sometimes a drawing salve like PRID will pull it out in a couple of days.
I have prid that I tried putting on it before (when she would behave long enough for me to warm it against her skin so I could spread). She's a wild girl.

This is what Pearl my Runners bumble was like no scab so I had to make a small incision and pop it out after 7 days of a 14-day run with antibiotics there was no difference I have read it is hard for an antibiotic to get to the bumble. I may have already posted this picture but it seems Bumble can present itself differently with each case. My chickens that have had bumble were easy to treat get the scab off get out the infection treat wrap and wait for it to heal. IMG_2286.jpeg

This is what Pearl my Runners bumble was like no scab so I had to make a small incision and pop it out after 7 days of a 14-day run with antibiotics there was no difference I have read it is hard for an antibiotic to get to the bumble. I may have already posted this picture but it seems Bumble can present itself differently with each case. My chickens that have had bumble were easy to treat get the scab off get out the infection treat wrap and wait for it to heal. View attachment 3703624
Yup I've seen this before but I appreciate seeing it again to keep fresh in mind. My concern with Fern is choosing the best route being im not very experienced in bumblefoot, not a case like she's had. When the scab loosened the blood buildup in her foot causing the liquid swelling shot out, I have no idea the distance it got. After that it was flat. She still has the hard bulge inflammation on the bottom and the top of her toe is swollen still but hoping that will go down with some time. Have you seen a core like what I pulled out? I haven't seen any photos/videos of it like this. The online vet I spoke with said the same about sometimes the antibiotic can't get to the bumble. This is on reason I was hesitant to give the antibiotic prescribed by her vet because it may not get to it anyway. He agreed it should be removed but preferred it be done at a vet. Unfortunately her vet was pretty firm in not wanting to remove it. She was moving fine after and even scratching her head with that foot after being wrapped. This morning moving slower (unless peas are involved, then all discomfort is out the window). She's not eating her feed this morning as she usually would but seems to be sifting around in the veggies in water and drinking . And of course gobbling up peas.

I've never personally had a core like that come out. I think you did the right thing - it needed to come out. Maybe stop treating her for now until you see she's back to eating her feed since that's the most important part of her diet. Save the peas for when you're changing her bandage or working on her. If it doesn't seem to be healing up quick I personally would try the antibiotic, but I've also used them on my ducks in certain situations and they haven't done much, so I understand your hesitancy. In the back of my mind would be the thought that I just don't want it to spread to the bone.

I've never personally had a core like that come out. I think you did the right thing - it needed to come out. Maybe stop treating her for now until you see she's back to eating her feed since that's the most important part of her diet. Save the peas for when you're changing her bandage or working on her. If it doesn't seem to be healing up quick I personally would try the antibiotic, but I've also used them on my ducks in certain situations and they haven't done much, so I understand your hesitancy. In the back of my mind would be the thought that I just don't want it to spread to the bone.
And before when she stopped eating at the beginning of this all she would eat was peas and eggs with fresh oregano. The eggs just for a couple days and she didn't want them anymore but would still eat the peas. Even after giving her fill of peas daily cuz it was the only thing she would eat she did go to the feed when she was ready and then went at it like she hadn't eaten in weeks. I understand what you're saying though and I've thought about it as well. You mentioned if it doesn't seem to be healing up quick to try the antibiotic, what would you consider to be quick? When talking to the vet I took her to about how long it would take for the antibiotic to work and what the signs were the answer was kind of on the vague side. They said the color could get better first and then the swelling go down or vice versa. Not really much of a timeline just that bumblefoot can take a long time to resolve.

Sometimes we don’t get all the infection out and have to do it again with Pearl it was like a bb pellet with some of my chickens it cheesy like what you got out. Sounds like the online vet knows his stuff .

Last edited:
Sometimes we don’t get all the infection out and have to do it again with Pearl it was like a bb pellet with some of my chickens it cheesy like what you got out. Sounds like the online vet knows his stuff .
Right now he said to soak with a Betadine dilution twice a day and pull scab until it comes back a fleshy pick color and put honey on after the soak.

Once you get the scab off there is always a possibility the core will come out with the scab not always but it has happened. But if you see anything in there that looks like it should come out like a core or cheesy infection use a pair of sterile tweezers and see if you can get it out. This is just me and what I have done. Honey is a good choice Manuka is the best be sure to wrap so the honey stays in the wound. I've never had a bumble get any worse for getting the infection out it has always gotten better.
But of course, you do what you think is best for your duck.

Wow! That was super gross! I'm glad you got that nasty junk out of her foot--nice job! I haven't dealt with bumblefoot yet, as my ducks are still babies, but I've been reading the threads to prepare for having to deal with it one day. Thank you for sharing. BTW, my Buff Orpington duckling is also named Fern...my 12 year old daughter named her. 🥰 🥰

Back
Top Bottom