Castor Oil for inflamed bumblefoot?

Once you get the scab off there is always a possibility the core will come out with the scab not always but it has happened. But if you see anything in there that looks like it should come out like a core or cheesy infection use a pair of sterile tweezers and see if you can get it out. This is just me and what I have done. Honey is a good choice Manuka is the best be sure to wrap so the honey stays in the wound. I've never had a bumble get any worse for getting the infection out it has always gotten better.
But of course, you do what you think is best for your duck.
I took out what was right under the scab. She didn't fuss when I pulled it out. Blood squirted out of the inflamed part around the scab. It was loaded. Was flat after (other than the hard bulge on the bottom of her foot that's been there since day one and the swelling on the toe on the top of the foot above the bulge. The next day it was inflamed again with tissue, but not as bad. Color is better. Still pulling scab off daily cause it has come back brown. And yup makuna honey for sure! Been using it along with the MicrocynAH poultry spray and bandaging. The online vet suggested having more of a padding then just two layers of gauze so I'm gonna add more tonight. So far it's just been tissue under the scab since I removed the core. I've been updating the online vet with photos and he's been giving me pointers and letting me know what to look for. Also I sent a pic of the core I pulled out and he said that's it :) Im still amazed at how well she did considering her temperament when trying to do anything else lol

Last edited:
Wow! That was super gross! I'm glad you got that nasty junk out of her foot--nice job! I haven't dealt with bumblefoot yet, as my ducks are still babies, but I've been reading the threads to prepare for having to deal with it one day. Thank you for sharing. BTW, my Buff Orpington duckling is also named Fern...my 12 year old daughter named her. 🥰 🥰
Awww... My niece named my gal :)

I tried that early on but she was having a hard time getting around with it on, back when vet said she's good to roam with the other ducks. In hindsight it probably would've been better to slow her down then.
Couldn't you have put the pool noodle on both feet even though only one needs it? I'd think they'd still be slowed down, but at least they aren't limping.

Has anyone had this black area on their duck and if so what did you do?

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_094102776.jpg
    IMG_20231214_094102776.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231214_092645597.jpg
    IMG_20231214_092645597.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom