Bumblefoot X2?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello, I’ve been treating for bumblefoot 8 days now. The first 5 I was using Epsom salt soaks, Derma vet ointment, cover and wrap.
The last 3 days I’ve been soaking in tricide-neo twice daily, 7 minutes each time, spray with vetericyn, put Derma vet, cover and wrap.
She does not appear to be in any pain.
I’m wanting help because I am worried all of this is stressing her out which is absolutely not good for her MD.
My ideal situation would be to just soak it twice daily in the tricide-neo and spray with vetericyn and that’s it. Easy and quick. But if that won’t work, what is the next step? I do have a plethora of antibiotics though they don’t seem to be suggested to treat bumblefoot.

This picture is not great. The scab I’ve been working on is the one closer to the toe. The center spot seems to be forming a bumble. It started as just a dark discoloration, but I’m not really sure about any of this. And it looks more red than it really is. .
image000000.jpeg
Thank you!

Have you been able to press out the core?

Tricide Neo is supposed to work very well, but it looks like the scab may need to be removed and pus pressed out in order for this finish up healing.
Tagging @dawg53
No, I cannot get that scab to budge. But I’m also not forcing it too hard. I am so worried about stressing her to the point where the MD kicks in.

There has definitely been changes to the middle of the foot since starting the tricide-neo. Almost looks like a bumble is coming to the surface where there originally was just a discoloration of the skin, is that possible? And the bigger scab does not look like the pictures of a normal circular bumble. I’m guessing that happens though? 🤷🏼‍♀️

See post #2 in this link regarding using Tricide Neo for bumblefoot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/

Redness is a sign of infection when it comes to bumblefoot.
Instead of Trineo, the only other option is to do bumblefoot surgery in order to remove the staph infection which involves soaking the foot in warm epsom salt water for about 30 minutes. The warm epsom salts water draws up the infection. Then cutting away the scab using a razor blade and squeezing the heck out of the footpad forcing up the infection and removing it. It may require digging around in the hole with tweezers to ensure all of the infection is completely removed along with alot of hard squeezing. There will be blood, have couple of paper towels standing by.
Once the infection is removed, flush with betadine, pack the hole with Neosporin, put a gauze over it and wrap it up with duct tape.
Remove the duct tape with scissors in 5 days and inspect the wound, it should almost be completely healed. Then repeat with iodine, Neosporin and gauze and wrap it up again as before, then remove it altogether in about 3 or 4 days. Done.

As far as the other scab goes, I suspect a type of Dermatitis. Topical iodine might treat it with twice daily treatments up to 10 days. If there isnt any improvement or no shrinkage, a combination of antibiotics might be needed. It is recommended that amoxicillin and tetracycline be given orally.
Ensure her habitat is dry and free of feces. Keeping everything as dry as possible is best for chickens.

Last edited:
See post #2 in this link regarding using Tricide Neo for bumblefoot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/

Redness is a sign of infection when it comes to bumblefoot.
Instead of Trineo, the only other option is to do bumblefoot surgery in order to remove the staph infection which involves soaking the foot in warm epsom salt water for about 30 minutes. The warm epsom salts water draws up the infection. Then cutting away the scab using a razor blade and squeezing the heck out of the footpad forcing up the infection and removing it. It may require digging around in the hole with tweezers to ensure all of the infection is completely removed along with alot of hard squeezing. There will be blood, have couple of paper towels standing by.
Once the infection is removed, flush with betadine, pack the hole with Neosporin, put a gauze over it and wrap it up with duct tape.
Remove the duct tape with scissors in 5 days and inspect the wound, it should almost be completely healed. Then repeat with iodine, Neosporin and gauze and wrap it up again as before, then remove it altogether in about 3 or 4 days. Done.

As far as the other scab goes, I suspect a type of Dermatitis. Topical iodine might treat it with twice daily treatments up to 10 days. If there isnt any improvement or no shrinkage, a combination of antibiotics might be needed. It is recommended that amoxicillin and tetracycline be given orally.
Ensure her habitat is dry and free of feces. Keeping everything as dry as possible is best for chickens.
Thank you. I bought the tricide neo because of that post.

Their coop/run is dry. I am in the last phase of switching mulch to sand in the run. They free range all day and we are in a drought. She has been jumping the fence to get to another part of the yard so she could have landed on something when jumping down. We are trying to rectify this but she keeps figuring out a way in. All the others cannot get in outside of the 1 bantam who can fly. Lol

I soaked her foot in warm Epsom salt water this morning hoping to loosen the scab and pull it out. I cannot get it to loosen up enough. When it started bleeding I got worried and stopped. Soaked it in the tricide, sprayed, applied ointment and wrapped. Then came back here to check and do more research.
I’m watching videos and reading and I feel like I am just an idiot 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’m gonna have to reassess my capabilities, build some confidence and get the nerve to cut the scab.

The big scab I am working on is not circular nor flat. It reminds me of a deep road rash healing scab. Not sure if that is a good comparison but it’s what I think of from treating my son’s Moyer cycle accident injuries. It’s an odd shaped, rough and bumpy type scab.

@dawg53 @Wyorp Rock

Here is an updated photo. I am satisfied this far but would really appreciate a second and third opinion on if I can continue what I am doing or do I need to revisit removing the scab. Thanks so much!

Picture on left is current and picture on right is 3(?) days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 13
It's looking a little better.
You may find that you still need to press out the infection for the Tricide Neo to be the most effective.

After soaking, dry the foot, the apply Clear (Decolorized) Iodine to the scabs. Wrap as usual. Next day see if the scab(s) have loosened up and you can press the kernel out. Decolorized Iodine can act similar to a drawing salve. Or you could try Prid to see if that helps draw it up some, but I think at some point, you may have to really press and work on getting that core/kernel out.

It's looking a little better.
You may find that you still need to press out the infection for the Tricide Neo to be the most effective.

After soaking, dry the foot, the apply Clear (Decolorized) Iodine to the scabs. Wrap as usual. Next day see if the scab(s) have loosened up and you can press the kernel out. Decolorized Iodine can act similar to a drawing salve. Or you could try Prid to see if that helps draw it up some, but I think at some point, you may have to really press and work on getting that core/kernel out.
I can pick up some of the non colored iodine today but do you happen to know where I can get prid? Would a pharmacy, or natural food/vitamin store carry it? I did read a lot of posts about it so probably good to have on hand also.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom