FYI: over the counter antibiotics prohibited w/o prescription after 06/23

We are fast approaching the June cut-off where over-the-counter animal antibiotics will need a prescription from a vet to purchase. At least that's what the law says.

I have had no real luck getting the on-line animal pharmacies to answer the question - will we still be able to buy fish antibiotics for our chickens without a vet prescription?

I believe the answer is yes, as long as the medication has a disclaimer on the label - "not for human consumption". But I have not been able to verify this from those on-line pharmacies. They do not answer my inquiries. But it appears we are going to still be able to get them without going to a vet for a prescription.

Now, here is another question a lot of people have been asking - is amoxicillin bought with a fish label the same amoxicillin as your doctor would prescribe for you? The answer is yes. Here is the lab study. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2772414X22000111

The take-away from all this falderol is that this law was passed to make it appear the government has done something when very little actually will change. It also proves that politicians aren't qualified to actually hold down a real job like real people.
Thank you for the calm your post provides...

After reading it I am tempted to say... Their efforts will be as successful as picking up Jell-O with a hammer.

I wonder if this isn't as much about the recent use of veterinary medication for self-medicating as about keeping antibiotics out of the environment. Politics is sometimes about the things not said, but secretly motivating.

(From Ketamine to Ivermectin)

Last edited:
Looks like we're not going to have any trouble continuing to obtain fish antibiotics for our flocks. I checked on three of my online pharmacies today, and while all had disclaimers that these meds are not for human use, none appear to require a prescription.
:wee :wee :wee
The new FDA regs go into effect 11 June if I'm not mistaken.
I hope we're still able to get fish antibiotics after 11 June.
In the meantime, it's not too late to order what is needed.

This should answer many of our questions as to what meds we won't be able to get after 06/23 without a vet's prescription: https://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/pha...otics-will-require-prescription-in-june-2023/

About the only ones we use for backyard chickens are injectible penicillin and Tylan 50, maybe some sulfas. It will require a prescription to buy those come June.

I have inquired at two of my online pharmacies about whether this federal law will impact the variety of fish antibiotics we have been able to get without prescription. One has replied. KVSupply said that they know of no reason why OTC fish antibiotics such as fish mox and fish cillin should be affected by this law, although circumstances may change.

Since Tylan 50 is one of the most often used antibiotics for CRD, the respiratory infection commonly affecting many flocks, it might be wise to replenish your supply before June. Be aware, though, hoarding these meds won't be practical as their effectiveness decreases over the shelf life.
How old can you give these antibiotics, we just got a day old chick who has been sneezing and doesn't seem to be doing well. she is with four other chicks and we are worried about infection among them- do you just clal you local pharmacy for these meds?

How old can you give these antibiotics, we just got a day old chick who has been sneezing and doesn't seem to be doing well. she is with four other chicks and we are worried about infection among them- do you just clal you local pharmacy for these meds?
A day old chick cant handle taking antibiotics. It would do more harm then good.
Since the chick is sneezing, it could be ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, or feed dust, maybe improper ventilation. These issues can be corrected or eliminated.

A day old chick cant handle taking antibiotics. It would do more harm then good.
Since the chick is sneezing, it could be ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, or feed dust, maybe improper ventilation. These issues can be corrected or eliminated.
Hi thank you but the bedding is dry and everything was set up for them today, she is now doing this weird stance, almost like rocking back on her heels with her head up and I would say doing a fish out of water impression, It doesnt seem she is gasping for breath but at the same time it looks like it. I wish I could attach a video here bc I think that would explain it but I am worried about her for sure. It’s bedtime here so I will check her in the morning and god willing she is Alive but any advice is so appreciated.

She was eating and drinking earlier and was getting around but def worried

It almost sounds like "Stargazing" which is a Thiamine deficiency (aka Vitamin B1).
Try giving the chick Poultry Nutri Drench twice a day for no more than 5 days and see if there's improvement. Just dribble it on the side of her beak for her to drink, one drop is enough.
poultry-nutri-drench.jpg

It almost sounds like "Stargazing" which is a Thiamine deficiency (aka Vitamin B1).
Try giving the chick Poultry Nutri Drench twice a day for no more than 5 days and see if there's improvement. Just dribble it on the side of her beak for her to drink, one drop is enough.
View attachment 3526205
Thank you so much! Just purchased and it’ll be here tomorrow. I guess we will see see and hope she pulls out of this!

Back
Top Bottom