ANXIETY OVERLOAD!! 😳

If all of my hens are vaccinated against cocciodosis and mereks then do I need to vaccinate these chicks? How do I go about doing that? I have good bio security against other farm birds, but there are wild birds around.
can I feed medicated chick starter if my hens will also eat it? I’ve heard to not feed medicated feed to vaccinated chickens.

If all of my hens are vaccinated against cocciodosis and mereks then do I need to vaccinate these chicks? How do I go about doing that? I have good bio security against other farm birds, but there are wild birds around.
can I feed medicated chick starter if my hens will also eat it? I’ve heard to not feed medicated feed to vaccinated chickens.
Vaccinations against Merek's at least can still mean they are carriers for it and therefore the chicks could get it. Cocciodosis is a parasite and can exist in the dirt and soil. I don't have a complete knowledge of either vaccine, especially cocciodisis, but I know you can only buy a 1000 dosage vial for the Merek's vaccine, for $25-$30. It must be given within 24 hours of the chicks hatching, and you've got to be comfortable with the idea of sticking your little chicky's delicate skin. I made the choice not to vaccinate my babies.

Vaccinations against Merek's at least can still mean they are carriers for it and therefore the chicks could get it. Cocciodosis is a parasite and can exist in the dirt and soil. I don't have a complete knowledge of either vaccine, especially cocciodisis, but I know you can only buy a 1000 dosage vial for the Merek's vaccine, for $25-$30. It must be given within 24 hours of the chicks hatching, and you've got to be comfortable with the idea of sticking your little chicky's delicate skin. I made the choice not to vaccinate my babies.
That’s the one I saw as well. 1000 doses and it has to be used all at once. I don’t mind giving them the shot if it would help them but I suppose the jig is up because I can’t get it today.
most mereks cases I’ve heard of have been people adopting adult birds or unvaccinated chicks. I’m hoping mine don’t get it from wild birds. That’s their only source.

To my knowlege the chicks must be hatched in an incubator, the instant they will be taken out also vaccinated. And afterwards have to be kept without any contact to adult chickens for at least 4-6 weeks for the Marek vaccination to be successful.

If they are hatched by a broody in the coop they all have been exposed to dust and all kinds of other possible carriers, so a Marek vaccination would be to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom