Anxiously Waiting

Ok, sorry. Your first post said 101.5-102 temp so I was going off the initial information provided.
I'm sorry.
Yeah I had upped it trying to help this little guy out. But I am letting it go down to it's usual. I appreciate the help. I am so worried about him! He does seem to be gaining some strength though. I will keep everyone posted!

9:23pm update:
Little guy I still alive. His peep is MUCH louder, his eyes are both open, he's VERY chatty, and he is trying real hard to get his little legs n body moving. Seems much more alert and much stronger. Haven't moved him to the brooding box yet, letting him be as much as possible until tomorrow. I did give him a little sugar water to help him out with some electrolytes. He was eager to take a CPL drips.

Little guy I still alive. His peep is MUCH louder, his eyes are both open, he's VERY chatty, and he is trying real hard to get his little legs n body moving. Seems much more alert and much stronger. Haven't moved him to the brooding box yet, letting him be as much as possible until tomorrow. I did give him a little sugar water to help him out with some electrolytes. He was eager to take a CPL drips.

I'm glad that it's doing better and gaining strength. Will any more be hatching out to keep it company?

I'm glad your little chicky is doing well. Incubating definitely has a learning curve. I only got one to hatch my first time too. Definitely don't increase the temperature next time they hatch. High temp plus high humidity can make it hard for them to breath. Also, too much humidity can cause the membranes to get goey and glue like. That's almost what it looks like in his half hatched pictures. I do dry incubation and raise it to 65% humidity or so only during lockdown. Plus I try to leave them be. Unless I know it's my fault for sure they are having trouble hatching, I try to let nature take its course. Sadly ones that struggle when incubation goes right seem to struggle or not make it after hatching. It has taken many mess ups on my part to accept that. Incubating is wonderful and nervewracking all at once. Best wishes on a healthy chick and many more to come!

I think the issue was the high temperature of 101.5-102F, not humidity. Too much humidity can cause drowning in the shell, I found out the hard way. I incubate at 99.5F, and because I live in the tropics (normal high humidity), I don't add water or encourage any additional humidity while incubating. It's normal, especially after a difficult hatch, for your chick to mostly sleep for the first day or so. If you have some ChickBooster (TM), or other chick vitamin, you may consider giving him a drop tomorrow morning on the side of his beak.

I'm glad your little chicky is doing well. Incubating definitely has a learning curve. I only got one to hatch my first time too. Definitely don't increase the temperature next time they hatch. High temp plus high humidity can make it hard for them to breath. Also, too much humidity can cause the membranes to get goey and glue like. That's almost what it looks like in his half hatched pictures. I do dry incubation and raise it to 65% humidity or so only during lockdown. Plus I try to leave them be. Unless I know it's my fault for sure they are having trouble hatching, I try to let nature take its course. Sadly ones that struggle when incubation goes right seem to struggle or not make it after hatching. It has taken many mess ups on my part to accept that. Incubating is wonderful and nervewracking all at once. Best wishes on a healthy chick and many more to come!

Incubating and hatching chick's is also addicting! :gig

Here's a recipe to make your own electrolytes for chicken's:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2017/05/how-to-make-homemade-electrolytes-for.html

I agree with everyone else, try to keep the temperature stable throughout the entire process. 99.5 F seems to be the golden number. For future hatches, don't wrap the eggs in damp paper towels. The danger here is that paper towels will cool off very quickly and can chill the chick/egg. To retain moisture, try rubbing coconut oil on the membrane.

I think you did the right thing by helping the little guy. I hope he gains some strength soon! He sounds like he has a relatively healthy start. Did any of the other eggs hatch? If not, has there been any movement from them?

Thank you for the advice!!! The little one is doing great this morning? Moving around on those little wobble legs peeping a bunch, all fluffy!!! I am good I did intervene when I did it he probably wouldn't have made it. But little guy is full of life and spunk!! So darned cute!!! I have some new eggs incubating now too. Hopefully my next hatch is much more successful! I'm just grateful that I had one hatch!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom