Any advice for a first time chicken mommy? :)

AJ666

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
La Crosse, WI
On Friday I will be getting 5 day old chicks! One EE roo, 2 EE hens, 1 Buff Orphington hen, one Domonique hen. I forgot to order a silver laced wyandotte, but she will hopefully be coming in next week
smile.png
whoops.
But I am verry excited, and nervous. So who wants to give a first time chicken owner some advice??
big_smile.png
I would be eternally grateful
big_smile.png

I used plain water too and it was fine. Some people give sugar water for energy. Electorlytes come from a little salt though. Some people add a little apple cidar vinagar (ACV) is the abbreviation (Like Rachel Rays EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil) Keeping the temp correct is important. Making sure they can get under the heat when cold is good and out of the heat when too hot is also good. I taped a wooden 2X2 to the mirror and clipped the heat lamp onto that so I could raise and lower it to provide the right temp and it worked really well.

34919_chixjuliii_027.jpg
[/img]

I also learned to use sand instead of pine shavings - it is heavier but I really liked it more. You will find your own preferences and it will be fine too. (no cedar)

Use crumbles and you don't need grit

Clean water, clean food - (Oh they will poop in it!) Clean brooder (for the smell control alone is good thing) The right temp for each week. And lots of love will get you through these first weeks of chicken ownership. Take a lot of pics because they grow right before your eyes and in a week you will not believe they could have doubled in size.

Enjoy
Caroline

Try to relax and enjoy them! I was so nervous with mine. They're actually quite hardy little guys.

Back
Top Bottom