Any advice for buying hatching eggs?

A trip to the breeder should not only be informative but allow you to put some thought and preperation in how to get the eggs home safely.
You should be able to see the pair responsible for the eggs. You should be able to make some enquiries about the ages of their breeding flock and their provenance.

One would prefer to do much the same for clothing for example. It's always helpfull if one can try the garment on, check that the material is as described, how the garment looks on etc. If one is prepared to do this for a piece of cloth which may only last that fashion season then it seems almost lunacy not to do similar with a live creature you may, if you picked right, be living with for the next ten to twelve years that you will come to care about more than any piece of clothing you've bought.

Make the journey. You know it makes sense.

My biggest concern with shipped eggs in the summer is the heat during shipping, the back of those mail trucks are not air conditioned and can get very hot.
This is definitely true. However, I assume that properly labeled boxes of hatching eggs are handled differently, perhaps similar to live chicks? And you should always pick up at your local PO rather than getting it delivered to your mailbox, if you are able. Even so, I’m sure there is an occasional frustrated PO worker who might do something intentional to the box, and they definitely can make mistakes …

This is definitely true. However, I assume that properly labeled boxes of hatching eggs are handled differently, perhaps similar to live chicks? And you should always pick up at your local PO rather than getting it delivered to your mailbox, if you are able. Even so, I’m sure there is an occasional frustrated PO worker who might do something intentional to the box, and they definitely can make mistakes …
They are not handled any differently than any other package sent in that way, chicks are sent live animal and that cost more. You can also purchase extra service call -Special Handling fragile. My postmaster and other postal workers I know from other areas explained that you can write what ever you want on the box but mail is sorted by machines and postal workers don’t pay attention to writing or stickers a lot of people decorate their boxes when mailing packages to love ones, they don’t have time for that. so if instructions are not included on the scan code like special handling or pick up at post office (both extra services you pay a fee for) instructions will probably be ignored /missed.

I will look and see if I still the lady I got my eggs from. Very nice well packed clean eggs. Good rate of chicks 9 out of 15 is better then 50%. I didn’t pay a lot for them either. Under 75$ I think.

If you just want lavender Orps as pets and not showing them, I would suggest Meyer Hatchery. I ordered 15 hatching eggs from them, and had over a 50% hatch rate, my first time with hatched eggs! They have Lavender & Black split to Lavender Orpington eggs, for around $3 per egg, and shipping is $10 for a dozen, plus $6 each additional dozen. (No Ayam Cemani eggs though)…

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to hold off on trying shipped eggs. It was just too much of a gamble for me.

However, the other day my mom was in town & saw a local feed store had lav orpingtons for sale! I think I'm going to check them out later this week. 😊

Well now I have eggs fever! Just got off EBay
😂 I thought I was the only one. I ended up ordering black Ameraucana bantam eggs off eBay as my birthday present to myself. They were pretty reasonable so I took a chance to experiment. These were the best shipped eggs I have ever received. She put them in a foam egg shipper, air pillows all around the bottom, top and sides, then newspaper in between the foam and air pillows. The eggs looked great when arrived no detached air cells. I put them in the incubator after settling for 8 hrs with turner off for 12 hrs then I set the turner for every 2 hrs for 3 days, then my normal every 30 minutes. I have brinsea ovation so it holds them up right and rotates side to side. I will candle on Saturday day 10 to see how they are doing.

😂 I thought I was the only one. I ended up ordering black Ameraucana bantam eggs off eBay as my birthday present to myself. They were pretty reasonable so I took a chance to experiment. These were the best shipped eggs I have ever received. She put them in a foam egg shipper, air pillows all around the bottom, top and sides, then newspaper in between the foam and air pillows. The eggs looked great when arrived no detached air cells. I put them in the incubator after settling for 8 hrs with turner off for 12 hrs then I set the turner for every 2 hrs for 3 days, then my normal every 30 minutes. I have brinsea ovation so it holds them up right and rotates side to side. I will candle on Saturday day 10 to see how they are doing.
Maybe we should have a sticky thread with good, recommended hatching egg eBay sellers. The first post can be edited to add the recommended ones, and people could comment with positive (or negative) experiences in the comments? Mods? @casportpony

Back
Top Bottom