Any advice for gasping for air in ducks!

Frankie seems to doing ok. I was foraging for worms with her a little bit ago. I put a radio and plastic mirror in her run. When she saw the mirror she just froze in front of it and then quickly walked off. I've been in contact with someone in a nearby city that has rescued ducks for adoption to get Frankie a companion. I'll know when it's time, but for now Frankie has me, her dad, and cat friend. I just wanted to thank you all again for all the care and support. This group has been a blessing in these darkest days.
It sounds like Frankie has a wonderful family. There is definitely no need to rush into getting a new duck. It is perfectly fine to heal before bringing another animal in your life. I am so sorry about Gracie. I sure she will always have a special place in your heart.

Your pictures are precious. That's great you have resources close for when you are ready to get another friend for Frankie.
This is a special time for you all to heal and create a special bond with Frankie. I hope she likes her mirror. I keep one on the wall in my coop all the time it's so funny to watch the birds look at themselves. I keep expecting one to turn all-around to make sure every feather is laying in its proper place. lol
Please keep us updated on how you all are doing.:hugs

Your pictures are precious. That's great you have resources close for when you are ready to get another friend for Frankie.
This is a special time for you all to heal and create a special bond with Frankie. I hope she likes her mirror. I keep one on the wall in my coop all the time it's so funny to watch the birds look at themselves. I keep expecting one to turn all-around to make sure every feather is laying in its proper place. lol
Please keep us updated on how you all are doing.:hugs
Thank you for the smile this morning. Frankers has been foraging all morning, following mom and dad around. We're rearranging the duck run today to lesson the sad triggers. I still can't believe my sweet Grace isn't here anymore. Life is never going to be the same. I turned on the radio yesterday and it was playing this song I heard for the first time "Let Somebody Go" by Coldplay and Selena Gomez. Today Kenny turned on the radio and it was playing this song "Lifetime" by Three Days Grace. They both put me in tears, especially since her name is in the artist name. I'm trying to find any type of peace, and these songs were a sign.

Peace will come it just takes time it's like a piece of your heart is missing. Being outside with Frankie will help you all :love
The hole in my heart will never be filled. Her love was unlike any other.
I'm glad it's the weekend and I can spend all day outside with Frankie. We redid her entire run today to get rid of a lot of major emotional triggers. She has spent most of the late evening in front of her mirror after we put her to bed.
We're toying over the idea of getting two ducklings and raising them inside for a couple months, and then try to integrate them with Frankie so she's not lonely when we're not home. It's just so hard to open my heart to more ducks, but I want Frankie to be happy. So far she seems ok during the day with us, but I'm worried it's not enough. Do you think she might be ok as a lone duck, or should we try plan B with new getting get her quarantined new 2 month old duckling friends?

I think Frankie would be happy having friends. I mean if you could spend all day with her she may be content but since they are flock animals they really thrive on the others in their flock. If you decide to get ducklings and raise them inside till feathered in, What I do when I have ducklings or chicks to integrate I take them out on nice days to be around the other birds of course always with supervision, that way when the time comes for them to move out with the flock they are all used to each other. That doesn't mean Frankie will welcome them with open wings she may still want to show them she's the boss. But that is natural and usually doesn't amount to much.
And there are always adult ducks needing forever homes too. Rescues etc.
That's so sweet she was in front of her mirror.

I think Frankie would be happy having friends. I mean if you could spend all day with her she may be content but since they are flock animals they really thrive on the others in their flock. If you decide to get ducklings and raise them inside till feathered in, What I do when I have ducklings or chicks to integrate I take them out on nice days to be around the other birds of course always with supervision, that way when the time comes for them to move out with the flock they are all used to each other. That doesn't mean Frankie will welcome them with open wings she may still want to show them she's the boss. But that is natural and usually doesn't amount to much.
And there are always adult ducks needing forever homes too. Rescues etc.
That's so sweet she was in front of her mirror.
Thank you again for all of your advice. I told my boyfriend that I would be even more lost than I am now without this group's support.
As much as I want to rescue an adult duck, I'm concerned about how to quarantine. I don't have a lot of space inside to quarantine it since I have cats and dogs as well. It would be stuck in a bathroom for at least a month. I can't risk Frankie's health.

Quarantine with ducks doesn't have to be that long, in my research. I adopted Julep (big ol' Pekin) last year when her owners posted on Craigslist that someone needed to adopt her or they would kill her because she's so loud. We kept her separate for a week or so. It took her a couple of weeks to really integrate, but now she's doing great. And you can always have a vet examine the new duck, if that's an option.

Just my experience. Of course, you need to do what's best for you and Frankie. I just thought I'd mention this to give you more options.

Back
Top Bottom