Any Bee Keepers out there?

Has anyone built a top bar hive then painted it with beeswax/boiled linseed oil?

Does it stay tacky and if not do you know the measurements of beeswax and boiled linseed oil that aren't tacky?

Thanks!

32940_swarmhve1.jpg

I was having coffee with my chickens this morning, when I heard a distinctive buzzing sound from the corner of the yard. I looked to see thousands of bees pouring out of the hive and taking flight. I was worried about them swarming- I even ordered a second hive last night to try to stop them.

Anway, I followed the cloud, and they settled on a tree across the street from me, in the parking lot of a swanky new apartment building. Mind you, I'm smack in the center of Philadelphia. Neither chickens nor bees are commonplace.

Since the swarm was too low on the tree to cut the branch, I set up 2 honey supers by the hive, and gave them a little "bridge" to walk across. There is some drawn out wax, and honey in the hive, so I hope they all decided to go in. They've been out there for a few hours now. Several thousand have gone in, but the queen must still be on the tree, as there are many thousands more still outside.

I'll be sad if they find a different home! I guess my instincts were right about needing to split them! My timing was just a little off...

Bah! Don't mention bees. We had ONE hive in the yard, and in this past week they've swarmed 6 times!! Don't know what is going on with them! We captured 4 of the swarms, and all left the new hives except for one!

I'm having a horrible time with these. They won't go in their new hive I set up right beside them. Now the building maintenance is threatening to spray them.

This is also being dubbed the "Greenest Building in Philadelphia," so you better believe if they spray them before they relocate I will be out there taking pictures, and sending them to my friends at the paper!

I finally brushed them off one bit at a time, and dumped them in the new hive. I sprayed them with sugar water after each addition. I must have gotten the queen since they're all staying put in the new hive, so fingers crossed, they will stay there tomorrow as well. I can't chase bees tomorrow. I have a Chickenstock to go to!

Back
Top Bottom