ANy Bird watches out there?

oooo how nice!! i think my mother gets the goldfinches... they sure are pretty.
yeah about 25 pounds of feed sure are expensive. but once you start feeding them especially in the winter here, you have to continue, it becomes their food source. a friend of mine has a heated bird water. omg now thats some spoiled birdies!!!
smile.png

I have a heated bird bath- I know it is kind of crazy...but, those birds really help me get through a dreary winter!! They are always a pleasure to watch. heksa, those are gorgeous photos! I am surprised you got the cardinal to land on the swinging feeder. They say, that cardinal's usually prefer a stationary, tray type feeder. If you enjoy the woodpeckers, try hanging a suet cage. I have hairy woodpeckers, red-breasted woodpeckers and downy woodpeckers at my suet feeders all the time. The nuthatch enjoy the suet, as well. Happy Bird Watching! Spring is 56 days away!!!

Just found this post.

I have feeders out on my back deck.

We have red bellied wood peckers that are colored up like barred rock chickens and downy and hairy wood peckers that come to our suite feeders.

Tit mouses, black capped chick-a-dees come to the sunflower feeder in all kinds of weather along with about 20 cardinals that roost in our apple trees in the the back yard.

We have Carolina Wrens that stay here year round and love the suite feeder in the spring and hunt spiders in the spring, summer, and fall.

Numerous native song sparrows like the fox and crowned.

Some times we have alot of dark eyed juncos.

and mourning doves, but they do so at their own peril becuase of the hawks in the area.

I love bird-watching!! I currently have a life list of 173 birds and am hoping to get way over that number! I live in Michigan right in the path of migrating warblers and last spring saw a firey-orange Blackburnian Warbler, a Chesnut-Sided Warbler, Magnolia Warbler and a Wilson's Warbler(4 new life birds!). The highlight bird of this year so far for me I saw is the Snowy Owl with my dad. During fall, the warblers come back through in their drab yellowish-brown plumage and can be difficult to identify. I feed birds all year and normally get Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks in spring(along with all the other familiar birds such as chickadees, cardinals, titmice, etc). My chickens pretend they're wild birds too and eat any bird seed on the ground I give to the sparrows and juncos.
tongue.png

What wonderful pics! Has anyone else noticed the snowy owl take-over this year? I had never seen one in the Seattle area, and this year they are all over my island! What gorgeous birds.
Speaking of unusual, I have seen both an albino blue heron and an albino Canada goose this year. Here's the goose:

Just grazing with his gaggle, the others didn't look twice at him.
My avatar is an Australian Flamecrest by the way.

What wonderful pics! Has anyone else noticed the snowy owl take-over this year? I had never seen one in the Seattle area, and this year they are all over my island! What gorgeous birds.
Speaking of unusual, I have seen both an albino blue heron and an albino Canada goose this year. Here's the goose:

From the coloration and the shape of the head, could the white one be a stray snow goose?

From the coloration and the shape of the head, could the white one be a stray snow goose?

The bright orange bill of the white goose elminates the possibility of a Snow Goose because Snow Geese have a black marking on their bill and its usually shaped a little different. To me, it almost looks like a domesticated duck or goose. The albino heron could possibly be a Great White Heron, too.

I was thinking a large pekin duck at first, but I saw those dark tail feathers and didn't know for certain.

Yeah, it can be hard to tell. Sometimes domesticated ducks or geese will escape and pair up with a wild duck or goose. I'm not really sure what the offspring would look like if the pair successfully raised young. I once saw a domestic duck swimming around in a pond at a state game reserve, completely unaware that it stood out like a sore thumb!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom