Any birders out there? What am I?

snugglepup

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
This little fella has been hanging out on our pecan tree. I can't find him in any of my books. If it helps, we live in central North Carolina.

woodpecker.jpg

My first thought was woodpecker, but upon closer inspection, I am not sure. the red head, brown body and long beak made me think that.

i know this would be kinda out of season but he looks like hes young.iv googled it and searched .cant find anything on it lol

I think he might be an immature yellow-bellied sapsucker. He has the correct patches and markings, just missing the yellow belly, which immature ones do not have.

I think you may be right. My book does not show a juvenile yellow-bellied sapsucker, and does not show the adults with crests up. I googled for more pics and several look like they might be our guy!

Thanks, jc!

Red-breasted Sapsucker
Sphyrapicus ruber
8.5 L

North American sapsuckers have their own genus (Sphyrapicus), but one look at this fabulous bird is enough to explain why American bird guides group sapsuckers in with woodpeckers. Like woodpeckers, sapsuckers use their stiff tails to keep them propped up while clinging to tree bark and their bills are powerful borers. The Red-breasted Sapsucker is one of our absolute favorite birds, with his stunning crimson head and intelligent eyes. He is a birding bird, spending long moments simply observing the other bird species around him.

Back
Top Bottom