Any cast-iron lovers here?

Quote:
Usually the back burner on the right on most stoves has a "chimney" under it. The oven will vent smoke and fumes through it. Depending on how dirty your oven is, or the pans you place in it, will determine the amount of smoke you get. You definitely need an exhaust fan that exhaust to the outdoors. Even though my exhaust blows the smoke and fumes outdoors, you can smell it burning things off.

To clean any pans we have "found" I wait until we have a big bon fire going and toss them into the coals and wait till the next morning, they are "cooked" clean and not smell or elbow grease needed. I then start reseasoning process.

Quote:
I do. Haven't had a problem. In addition to being careful not to drop them, I also make sure not the drag them across the cooktop.

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
You can only use the cast iron pieces that are flat on the bottom on glass-top stoves. I have one or two that have "lips" underneath and can't make proper contact with the metal.

An old-timer who was an actual trail cook said the best way to season cast iron was with beef tallow if you can find it (think that's what it was called) and second best was lard. He said shortening has salt in it and doesn't cure the pan as well. But I don't know since up to this point I've only been a part-time cast iron cook and usually use shortening as it's readily available! I did buy lard last week and am going to try that to see if there's really any difference.

Love, Love my cast-iron skillets and pots! I bought one small skillet 5yrs ago and have added 3 pieces to my collection
wink.png

I have an electric stove and the way that cast-iron distributes the heat, it just can't be "beat"
lol.png

I rarely run into any old "finds" around here...I think everyone keeps their cast-iron pieces!

Watch out for new pieces that are sold at Kohls, Bed, Bath and Beyond. Often, these skillets are made in China, and I just find that odd...I stick with Lodge
big_smile.png

Ohhh, I didn't see this thread! I have several pieces but my all time favorite is the Puritan cast iron skillet I inherited from my granny, she had gotten it from her mother. It's pretty deep and looks like it has been well loved! I just wish I could find more info on it
sad.png

Quote:
Dear god, do not use "shove the skillet into the fire" method. On this forum you will learn everything about cast iron.
http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Oh, and for seasoning, what I found works the best is some form of pig fat. Either lard or bacon. And do not cook an egg in freshly seasoned skillet, it will strip the seasoning off.

Back
Top Bottom