Any Christmas / Dec 2012 Hatch a long's?

Turning off the turner really is only a rule to keep new chicks from falling and hurting themselves.

I can't wait for new chicks! So exciting lol. This is only my second go at this! Yay babies

I don't know much yet about hatching eggs with an incubator, but I did have a silkie hen go broody Dec 2nd or 3rd and decided to bring her inside to try to hatch the 6 eggs she's now been sitting on. I should have eggs hatching any day now. However, I'm wondering if I dont get any that hatch how long will she continue to sit on them for before I should just give up on the eggs and get her back outside with the rest of her flock?

First time hatcher with a DIY incubator with 9 eggs from my RIR hen and Yellow Buff Orpington Roo.

My hatch will be staggered as I only have one hen laying. Hindsight, I could have waited a week and started the batch at once but *shrug*

I basically will have three batches.

One batch started 12/3 due, optimistically, Christmas day. If one of them is a hen, I'll name the first hatched "Holly"
Second batch started 12/10 due around New Years Day (fun timing for the batches. Totally on accident)
Third batch I put in today 12/20/12 due around 1/10/13

I have a brooder ready to go

I candled the eggs last night. The first three look good with movement and everything inside. Super excited.

Second batch shows movement in two of the eggs but one of them has bubbles in it. I posted about that question already. Thinking that's a bad egg.

Third batch just went in today so there's nothing to say about those.

I'm hatching these because my RIR is getting old. I would LOVE to have some of her babies around so she can teach them where to go and what to do - and where NOT to go and what NOT to do.

Wish me luck!

Lynzi,

If in the case no eggs hatch on time - I would guess to give her an extra 5 days on the eggs, perhaps they may hatch late or she could make the decision to kick a few out or the nest. She may show broodiness up to 7-10 days after the estimated hatch date. However, If all goes well you will have baby chicks soon! Lets hope for the latter scenario! Fingers crossed.

I went into lockdown first thing this morn. Me and the kiddos did one last candling. A few of the eggs dont look as full as the others they have more space, but have good movement. All the others are filled up and black. I hope they all do well.

Lynzi,

If in the case no eggs hatch on time - I would guess to give her an extra 5 days on the eggs, perhaps they may hatch late or she could make the decision to kick a few out or the nest. She may show broodiness up to 7-10 days after the estimated hatch date. However, If all goes well you will have baby chicks soon! Lets hope for the latter scenario! Fingers crossed.
Thanks! I'm obviously hoping for chicks, but seeing as this is my first experience with hatching eggs I'm not getting my hopes up too much. I'll be happy if at least 1 hatches, but then of course does well due to it being a one and only chick.

My first broody hatch went that way. I began with 6 eggs, lost one during the setting period. The first chick hatched on time by itself - day 21. My hen had "accumulated" other hens eggs over a couple days - meaning she was bound to have a staggered hatch. Well the next chick came on the 25th day, it was shrink wrapped so I had to help it out of the shell. The others never hatched in the following days and eventually after about day 28 we opened them up to see if they were developed. They looked fine and seemed alive, but didn't make it past a minute or so :(

Lock down today , 21 - OE, EE, Ameraucana & barnyard mix
big_smile.png
Good luck everyone!!!

Lockdown!!! It seems like it took forever to get to this point...but now that it's here I'm worried about having everything ready on time :) 8 went in but I only saw definite movement in two, so we'll see how it goes. The others were dark and had a shape to them (not just a dark blob), and the air sacs looked good. I've noticed a lot of people with early hatchers this Fall Winter. How long do you wait to remove chicks if other eggs are taking their time?

Back
Top Bottom