Any Christmas / Dec 2012 Hatch a long's?

I no longer will have the joy of Christmas chicks hatching! My broody hen began with 11 eggs, then kicked two out of the nest within days. Therefore, it was down to 9 eggs when I candled last Saturday (Day #6). I then candled again Thursday (Day #11), which 5 eggs were M.I.A?! Of those I candled I left only 2/4 eggs which appeared to be developing. Today (Day #12) I opened the coop this morning to find mama hen off the nest which is a rare sight. Only one egg to be seen... hours later it was clear she abandoned it. I am so bummed! My suspicion is my overzealous lover-boy rooster is crushing the eggs under mama hen. There doesn't seem to be enough bedding in her nest area of choice because she tends to kick it away until she finds the bare floor. My idea is to replace her favorite nesting spot with a shallow crate that will serve as a nest. Any suggestions or pictures of you own solutions?

*huge hugs* Have you ever used that nesting mat made of plastic? At least she wouldn't be able to kick it away. If possible I'd keep over zealous man away too.

The hova bator is 2 and 1/2 weeks old
goes from on 86-106

in a small turn like -

I am like Oh man so im gonna call them and tell them maybe its just a wafer or ?

The hova bator is 2 and 1/2 weeks old
goes from on 86-106

in a small turn like -

I am like Oh man so im gonna call them and tell them maybe its just a wafer or ?

I would just call and tell them the age and exactly what is going on. They should diagnose it and get you a replacement or replacement part ASAP. I read recently that someone had a fan die and they sent a new one overnight.
Mine stays at 99.5 all the time...and even after candling it was back to 99.5 in 10 minutes. That's how they should work
big_smile.png

That darn rooster! I want to keep him but he just keeps turning the lovin' up on my poor hens. He is great in the aspect that the majority of the eggs are fertile and he doesn't crow much. I've had to give away two hens since July because of severe feather loss. Roosters are much harder to give away... Maybe we should just cook him? I would still be left with my Old English Game bantam rooster - whom is a "gentle" lover to my hens might I add

love.gif

We candled our 6 today! It is day 7 and out of the 6, 2 of them are doing really well we have veins and tiny bodies with eye spots!!! One of our eggs had the bacteria ring so we took that one out.. and the other 3 we really couldn't tell if they where developing! We are pretty excited to see the progress our two eggs have made!

We candled our 6 today! It is day 7 and out of the 6, 2 of them are doing really well we have veins and tiny bodies with eye spots!!! One of our eggs had the bacteria ring so we took that one out.. and the other 3 we really couldn't tell if they where developing! We are pretty excited to see the progress our two eggs have made!

Can't wait for an update! Congrats on the chicks growing well!

One week to go!!! Woo! All of my eggs are growing. Now if they all live to hatch and beyond ill be thrilled. :) these are my own eggs not shipped. Shipped eggs have a harder time. Sadly.

Back
Top Bottom