Any clue of Ellie's "other half"? Silkie gender?

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
We know she is part Cochin but what else could she be mixed with? And the white Silkie here is Dinky and I'm wondering if she looks more like a hen than a rooster. She is over 3 months old , not quite 4,(not sure of exact age. Just guessing) and has a red comb. Her wattles are tiny though. Her pelvic bones are separating so could she be an early layer?

blurry :(

Not sure on the silkie, but I would guess pullet, although that first pic sure has a rooster like stink eye!!!

The Cochin looks like it may be Silver Spangled Hamburg mix. SSH are white layer though and your girl looks like she has red ears.

In my opinion, Ellie looks like a purebred (but hatchery quality) Mottled Cochin. I don't see evidence of any other breed in her. Dinky looks like a cockerel, since I think I see streamers coming from his crest and his comb/wattles are rather developed for a 12-16 week old Silkie. The pelvic bones separate in both male and female chickens--just more so in females. Still, I could be wrong about Dinky's sex, since Silkies are notorious for being tricky. Some people don't know what gender of Silkie they have until the bird crows or lays!

In my opinion, Ellie looks like a purebred (but hatchery quality) Mottled Cochin. I don't see evidence of any other breed in her. Dinky looks like a cockerel, since I think I see streamers coming from his crest and his comb/wattles are rather developed for a 12-16 week old Silkie. The pelvic bones separate in both male and female chickens--just more so in females. Still, I could be wrong about Dinky's sex, since Silkies are notorious for being tricky. Some people don't know what gender of Silkie they have until the bird crows or lays!
I agree.

Ok thanks so much! It's nice to finally get a reply lol. This was really helpful!

Well my Silkie became very interested in my hen (if you know what I mean) yesterday and his comb has gotten bigger and redder too. So he's a definite rooster. My brother wants to keep him but we can't. I'll miss him.

Back
Top Bottom