Silkie or Silkie/Polish cross?

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
These chicks hatched June 9th.
I know it's way too early to tell what the genders are, so I'm not thinking about that yet. I am curious about coloring/breed though. The pen these two came from have a splash silkie hen, black silkie hen, buff laced hen, mottled cochin. We also have silkie roos that are multi colored (beautiful reds, browns, tans, etc.). Some of the silkie roos are half mottled cochin. Does it look like Dumbo could be part polish? He (actually dont know the gender) has a few feathers sticking up, so we weren't sure.
Prissy's coloring is interesting to me cause she has always been much lighter since hatching and also does have some dark feathers. Is the fluff that has yet to come in going to be lighter feathers? What would their colors be considered?
IMG_1276.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg

There's no way these are from a buff laced Polish hen, which carries the dominant white gene. If you have other colors of Polish then maybe.

I think they are probably Silkie/Cochin mixes because they have smooth rather than silkied feathers, and have profuse leg feathering.

There's no way these are from a buff laced Polish hen, which carries the dominant white gene. If you have other colors of Polish then maybe.

I think they are probably Silkie/Cochin mixes because they have smooth rather than silkied feathers, and have profuse leg feathering.
That makes sense. If I were to hatch one of her eggs that is crossed with a silkie then it would come out her coloring?

That makes sense. If I were to hatch one of her eggs that is crossed with a silkie then it would come out her coloring?
It depends on the coloring of the father. Dominant white will mostly block black or blue coloring and replace it with white. You might get a few dark spots but not much. But dominant white won't block red and gold coloring, so if the father was, say, a buff or red silkie then the offspring would be white with some buff or red mixed in.

It depends on the coloring of the father. Dominant white will mostly block black or blue coloring and replace it with white. You might get a few dark spots but not much. But dominant white won't block red and gold coloring, so if the father was, say, a buff or red silkie then the offspring would be white with some buff or red mixed in.
Oooh sounds very pretty. Now I want to see if I can get a chick with that coloring.

I used have buff laced Polish and one of them got out and apparently mated with my Rhode Island red rooster. One chick came from them, and it was mostly creamy white with golden highlights in the hackle and wings. Pretty hen!
Do you happen to have a picture? She sounds gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom