Any cures for a crooked beak?

Yessur Ebob

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have a pullet who has a crooked beak I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to correct it. I really like this pullet, but she is having a hard time eating and I really don't want to have to put her down. I may be willing to take her to a vet if I can afford it. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you post a pix?

I have not read that there is a cure or fix for crooked beak. It is often mentioned that keeping the feed deep enough so they can scoop up the food is better, if they can't peck well.

Good luck

Imp

Sorry I don't think that I can post pics because of our connection speed. It's pretty crooked, but i think she'll ok if we keep the feed deep enough.

No cure for crooked beak, but some people like to trim them. I have a hen with a severe crooked beak and she gets along great! She's 1.5 years now and definitely top hen. I just let her in the feed bucket so she can eat out of there. Here's a picture of her...

22179_crossbeak.jpg

There is no cure. BUT I just lost my little girl at 4 months that had crooked beak. Unfortunately when they eat is causes the beak to go more to the side. So what we did was

1. chick to 1 month fed her spagehtti noodles, scrambled eggs, & oatmeal

2. 1 month to passing we would put her right in the layena bag 3 times a day. She did really well with no others to bother her, she could take her time & eat.

So good luck, but prepare for the worst. I've read on here where one or two live years.

47297_img_2237.jpg
RIP MY BABY NEMO

Last edited:
I had an EE for 3 years who had a very bad crooked/crossed beak. I kept the feed deep and she did great, maintained her weight and laid an egg a day for most of the year, stopping only for a short time each year.

Back
Top Bottom