Any elk hunters? Could use some tips...

Sky is Falling

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Our draws in NM came in today, and I found that I got chosen for a cow elk hunt in northern NM... I have gone once before and ended up being harrased with drones, atvs, trucks, and a helicopter driving all of the elk onto the ranchers land as they get like @$10k for their permits they get to sell. It was not a pleasant hunt. Anyway, this year is a total new area to us, and I was wondering if anyone with experience would care to give out some advice. I have ok mobility, but due to a spinal fusion years ago, I just cant put in all of the miles walking like I used to. I was thinking of trying to focus on water holes, but I think everyone else may be also. Ideas anyone?

congrats on the elk tag! I am a avid hunter and professional taxidermist from northwest Colorado. What time during the fall is the tag good for? Is the unit a dificult one to draw? What is the country you will be hunting like? cedars, pine, mountainous, rimrock? Archery or Rifle?
Answering these questions will help a little for providing you some more information.

Sorry so long... Its area 51
big_smile.png
in NM. Northern Part of the state, which from what I have seen is probably very similar to the southern habitat of CO... It is in early November, and it is a rifle hunt. From my deer hunting experience in past years with a bow, I think they are usually bugling in early Sept. Not sure they will be doing any of that during our window. I and my dad are both somewhat mobility limited-- we can do a few miles a day and be fine, but definitely not any hardcore walking and drop camps and such. Dad is 70 with lifelong smoker lungs and has slowed considerably. As for myself I have a 10yr plus spinal fusion and although it works excellent now, it tends to scream at me when I push too far.

Anyway, we have deer hunted for decades and done so so, but frankly we are good with doing it on our terms and getting nothing, or getting lucky here and there. We mainly are out for a lot of fun and bonding. Generally we find a likely spot and sit for a bit and watch it. If something happens by we stay, if nothing shows then we find another likely spot, and on and on. Weve been fine with this method for years.

My wife however doesnt like deer meat. She absolutlely LOVES elk meat and told us to bag one this year... Just looking for some ideas of what the elk may do as I know they tend to move around a lot more than the resident muleys we usually try to ambush. Should we try to set up around water? Maybe try to watch a likely looking travel route? Set up around some bedding areas? Any tips would be great. And again sorry it took so long to get back, I dont get to play with my computer too often, and my little guy has also had a rough week or two dental wise with an abcessed tooth...

And i would guess mostly pine, maybe some small groves of aspens? I honestly havent ever been to this unit ever. Still cracks me up that its area 51... And as far as odds I would say its fairly easy to get a tag there. Its got like 250 available for this hunt, but in NM it has gotten so dang difficult to get anything anymore... Its pretty remote though. Not a ton of roads showing on the map.

Back
Top Bottom