Any experience integrating new chickens into flock of RIR?

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have a 1 year old flock of 9 Rhode Island Reds who have been fairly easy and good layers. I’m raising some new chicks now who are 6-10 weeks old and going to start integrating them. Two of my new chicks are 10 weeks so I thought I would integrate them first since they’ve been on their own for a few weeks already in a mini coop. Today while they were spending time in the chicken yard in a dog crate one of them escaped when I was changing the water. My RIR’s went after it aggressively and got some feathers! Not just pecking order stuff...more like “I want to kill you” behaviour.

I’m feeling defeated already after reading that RIR’s are very territorial and hard to integrate. I’m ready to give up on it and just have two coops/yards. Thought I would see if anyone has a positive experience integrating with some sassy RIR’s? Thanks!!!

85577F8D-A5F0-4E08-AB57-E5F3073B5F01.jpeg
This picture is just before all hell broke lose:)

I have a 1 year old flock of 9 Rhode Island Reds who have been fairly easy and good layers. I’m raising some new chicks now who are 6-10 weeks old and going to start integrating them. Two of my new chicks are 10 weeks so I thought I would integrate them first since they’ve been on their own for a few weeks already in a mini coop. Today while they were spending time in the chicken yard in a dog crate one of them escaped when I was changing the water. My RIR’s went after it aggressively and got some feathers! Not just pecking order stuff...more like “I want to kill you” behaviour.

I’m feeling defeated already after reading that RIR’s are very territorial and hard to integrate. I’m ready to give up on it and just have two coops/yards. Thought I would see if anyone has a positive experience integrating with some sassy RIR’s? Thanks!!!
We had 2 RIR in a flock of 6 total. We integrated 3 with them a few years ago. The RIR were pains in my rear end. One specifically chased them down just like you are describing. We would keep pushing her away and basically interrupting her when she tried. It took a few days of constant checking before it was okay. This time I plan to put any bullies in a dog crate inside the coop if they behave that way. I've been having playdates with 9 chicks ( 6 weeks and 3 weeks) and 6 adults this past week. So far I have one isa brown which is doing the same thing. Tomorrow I plan on letting them out together even longer and if she goes after the littles I will put her in the dog crate. She has been the only hunt down and kill them one so far.

Back
Top Bottom