Any experience with a bachelor pad with two roosters?

Okay, since I last posted this, my flock has calmed down a lot. I think because they have more space and things to do now than they did before and I added more feeders and waterers. Plus, we've had great weather so they can spend more time outside.

My two dominant barred rock roosters that I wanted to move have calmed way down too. They're no longer going around pecking everyone and challenging them. But they're only three months old, so I know hormonal changes are coming.

I feel so bad moving them out of the flock now while everyone is being so friendly...but do you think I should go ahead and do it now or wait and see if they're a problem in a couple of months when they do mature?

This isn't a great picture, but I actually caught them snuggled up together this morning, so I'm hoping that's a good sign if they do end up alone in a bachelor pad together. One of them is definitely more dominant, and the other one seems to respect that right now, so it seems like a good time to move them for those reasons, but I know they're going to miss their buddies and I feel guilty about that. One of them has even taken to protecting my little hen who was getting bullied so badly a couple of weeks ago.
You could always just make sure that the extra coop area is in perfect shape... and then wait until there is a problem.

I feel so bad moving them out of the flock now while everyone is being so friendly...but do you think I should go ahead and do it now or wait and see if they're a problem in a couple of months when they do mature?

You'll feel worse if you wait around for something bad to inevitably happen with 4 roosters in your relatively small flock.

The best time to move them is while they're all calm.

You'll feel worse if you wait around for something bad to inevitably happen with 4 roosters in your relatively small flock.

The best time to move them is while they're all calm.
Thanks That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I probably have another month or two before they get too rowdy, so I'm going to go ahead and work on moving them in the next week or two. I also think it'll help my little Hamburg rooster not be so pitiful all the time. He thinks he's got to challenge them, and they honestly don't seem to care what he does, and he just wears himself out. My Cochin rooster actually treats him really nicely and even lets him cuddle up with him to sleep and protects him from the hens that don't like him, so I think they'll be good as the two guys in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom