Any experience with: gurgling, not eating or drinking, runny poo

Wow, I'm not sure what to say except that I don't think your rooster received proper medical attention. Did the vet suggest testing his poop for bacteria? 'Cause that poop is not normal. I'm also can't understand why they couldn't get a weight. Surely they could have had a tech hold him on while standing on a dog scale? Lots of ways to get it done, that's just one...

FWIW, the five vets that have seen my birds when they have been sick did not check their temps, and a vet UC Davis told me that vets don't normally check temps on birds because there is no reliable way to do it.

-Kathy

He minimized the possibility of a viral element because it seemed to be just a gurgle, I think attributed to an upset stomach. I assumed they'd do bloodwork but he said that would take forever and could be anything. They forgot to get his weight, I think. But I can weigh him if you'd like to know. He kept saying he was big for 18 weeks but I don't think he is, since he's a Marans.

Last edited:
Sorry, all the poo was tested for was cocci and worms. The vet said he has chickens himself. George gave several fresh samples at the appointment.

This is his most recent stool.

Wow, I'm not sure what to say except that I don't think your rooster received proper medical attention. Did the vet suggest testing his poop for bacteria? 'Cause that poop is not normal. I'm also can't understand why they couldn't get a weight. Surely they could have had a tech hold him on while standing on a dog scale? Lots of ways to get it done, that's just one...

FWIW, the five vets that have seen my birds when they have been sick did not check their temps, and a vet UC Davis told me that vets don't normally check temps on birds because there is no reliable way to do it.

-Kathy
I too worry about proper medical attention, typical vets do not know crud about chickens and fowl.

I so wish the best for your roo.
hugs.gif
if he has no improvement I would start your own treatment from all that info, keep an eye on the body condition

LL

The rooster in this video has a respiratory problem of some type, and I am surprised the vet did not address it.
0.jpg

@Elemes , can you post a new video of him, let us know how much he weighs, and tell us what number he is on the body scoring chart that Sally posted?

-Kathy

I think he is a 3. He ate a TON tonight but I will weigh him tomorrow. The problem is, the vet said his lungs definitely sounded like something was going on but he wasn't making those sounds at the vet. As I've said, those noises have declined and are now absent entirely. He is also jumping on things and squawking a little. No longer displaying lethargy.

I forgot to mention the vet attributed the sound to likely having something unpleasant in his stomach or throat... We actually talked a long time so it's hard to remember everything. I know this series of reports makes him sound insane, but I swear he was actually not. It was my first time visiting any avian vet, though.
I did think a few things in our discourse strange, namely that he gave me an animal science lab's # in case he dies (for a cheap autopsy). But I think the symptoms in this video were really not displayed at the visit, or since.

And my chickens are all free-rangers, so I don't think it impossible be got ahold of something unpleasant. I don't pesticide or spray bugs or any of that, but there's 4 acres of who knows what. My first concern was that he got bit by a snake... Which I didn't find any physical evidence of on his body.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom