Any experience with: gurgling, not eating or drinking, runny poo

I know you've said already temp is possibly unreliable to check on chickens but the vet says anything over 104 is a fever and mercks vet manual says 105-109.5 is normal. I'm curious why chicken health is seems so dodgy...

I know you've said already temp is possibly unreliable to check on chickens but the vet says anything over 104 is a fever and mercks vet manual says 105-109.5 is normal. I'm curious why chicken health is seems so dodgy...
Don't dwell on the temp, 'cause it changes nothing... I think your rooster needs antibiotics regardless of what his cloacal temp is.

-Kathy

Alright. I'm pretty dumb about chicken health but I do know a little about science. The vet gave me injectible baytril and said you can use 2-5 days. I know how antibiotics work. This is silly. So I have an undiagnosed chicken with not-that, maybe this and also a little of this, but nothing definitive and I am now going to inject him, at my leisure,2x daily for as long as I feel like it? This is crazy.
No wonder they give the name for a necropsy right away.

Alright. I'm pretty dumb about chicken health but I do know a little about science. The vet gave me injectible baytril and said you can use 2-5 days. I know how antibiotics work. This is silly. So I have an undiagnosed chicken with not-that, maybe this and also a little of this, but nothing definitive and I am now going to inject him, at my leisure,2x daily for as long as I feel like it? This is crazy.
No wonder they give the name for a necropsy right away.
This is how this drug is usually given, though directions are usually clearer. In this case, do not second guess the vet, he is correct, and if it's a bacterial infection that's sensitive to Bayril then you should see improvement in 8-72 hours. If he does not improve after 72 hours (six injections), call your vet and ask if you should continue.

Some things are impossible to diagnose even with hundreds of dollars worth of labs and tests, so trust your vet and give the injection twice a day in the breast muscle or under the skin. Do not give it in the leg or thigh! Giving injections uder the skin can be tricky, so I would suggest the breast, and I would alternate sides.

IM (intramuscular) Injections

All intramuscular injections should be given in the breast muscle towards the front of the bird. Never give injection in the leg or thigh. Needle should be inserted at a sharp angle and inserted about 1/4". Be careful not to go all the way to the breast bone. Remember to pull back on plunger to check for blood. If you see blood, redirect needle and try again.

As I said before, Baytril is what I would give him, and I would give it for a respiratory or GI infections. It is banned for use in poultry, so you should never eat one that has been treated with it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom