Any experienced cross-breeders in here? :)

Clov3r

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Palo Pinto County, Texas
I have an Easter Egger rooster. I was curious if there's any particular outcome I can expect when breeding him to my purebred hens. I ended up with 2 oddball/mixed roosters because I did some people some favors (heh), but we're slowly establishing a mini farm (2 acres: rabbits, chickens, goats, produce, and honey), so the plan is to sell excess eggs and/or chickens at market.

So, he's an EE.
I'm curious to know what I'd have if I crossed the EE with:

Buff Orpington Hens
Plymouth Barred Rock Hens
Silver Laced Wyandotte Hens
Red Sex Link Hens (I know they're already a cross--- I have two accidental sex links that were mixed into my buff orps when I got them).

Any reliable outcomes? Links?

Thanks y'all! I love this website...

I am not a breeder (no roosters :,c), but I think I could help.
tongue.png

What color is your EE? Does he have a beard? Since they are mixed then I have no idea of his appearance.

Last edited:
This is him. (There are going to photos of Logan all over these forums by the time I'm finished here...). Haha.

He came from a group of farm-laid-classroom-hatched EE's that I bought from a coworker when they were a few days old. They were gifts for my parents (a neighbor dog destroyed their flock), but Logan had a grudge against my toddler nephew, so they couldn't keep him on their property anymore.

Last edited:
Actually there is one outcome you can be certain of - any chicks out of that rooster and your barred rock hens will be black sex links. Females will not be barred and males will. Males will hatch with a white head spot and females will not have one.

With the barred Rock hens, he will produce black sexlinks. With the Silver Laced Wyandottes, he would produce non-typical red sexlinks, may not be sexable at hatch, but as they feather in it will be pretty obvious. The Buff Orpingtons and Red Sexlinks will produce similar buff/gold/red chicks. If he ends up being pure for the blue eggshell gene, then all his female chicks should lay blue/green eggs.

With the barred Rock hens, he will produce black sexlinks. With the Silver Laced Wyandottes, he would produce non-typical red sexlinks, may not be sexable at hatch, but as they feather in it will be pretty obvious. The Buff Orpingtons and Red Sexlinks will produce similar buff/gold/red chicks. If he ends up being pure for the blue eggshell gene, then all his female chicks should lay blue/green eggs.

I don't suppose there's any way to know eggshell gene? Wait and see what I get? :p

Back
Top Bottom