Any fellow birdwatchers out there?

Pics
Has anyone done any birdwatching as of late? :)
The usual crowd today in the yard. Bluejays, the cardinals brought their only baby this year, a female, doves, blackbirds, a young woodpecker, brown thrasher, mockingbirds, a catbird and a hummingbird. Don't know what kind it is though. Six young egrets in my neighbor's yard. The painted buntings have gone for now. They have been coming here for years, twice a year.

We have some young hummingbirds buzzing around. They love the hardy fucshias and the crocosmias.
What's not to love about those spunky little spitfires?
Not much birding, moved to a new part of the state. Still getting the area down.
Hope you get back into soon, as your pictures are always enjoyable. Still haven't spotted a Peregrine Falcon yet, so I'm incredibly jealous.

they're still old photos, but more current than my last post here
Very nice! I especially love that huge family of Canadas....it's amazing how many goslings they'll hatch out at a time.
View attachment 2749619

I have a big colony of blue herons at the back of our property. 46 nesting pairs is what I counted this spring. Here is a picture of one of the nests from last season. I climbed way up a maple tree and took it with my phone. 3 chicks in the nest and one of the parents to the right. I'm going to buy an actual camera this year so I can document them better next year
Absolutely incredible!!! What I would give to have a "rookery" of sorts in my back yard. Blue Herons are majestic to the eye, but murder on the ear. Their sounds are horrific. :lol:

The usual crowd today in the yard. Bluejays, the cardinals brought their only baby this year, a female, doves, blackbirds, a young woodpecker, brown thrasher, mockingbirds, a catbird and a hummingbird. Don't know what kind it is though. Six young egrets in my neighbor's yard. The painted buntings have gone for now. They have been coming here for years, twice a year.
Painted Buntings?!?! Oh, to live in a region where they're commonplace. If we manage to spot one here in Ohio, people flock to see it from all corners of the state. :lol:

We used to have a blue heron rookery across the road. We also had an osprey nest across the other road. We live on a corner. Anyhow large birds of prey wreak havoc on rookeries and one afternoon we heard the most horrendous shrieking. We ran outside to find at least a dozen great blue herons dive bombing and harassing the osprey nest. It was like the attack of the pterodactyls ! It was one of the most memorable experiences I ever witnessed! And of course back then no cell phone video cameras. I don’t think I had a regular video back then either. Thanks for causing me to remember that! :gig

Reporting from AL - lots of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are active now here. Just had 7 little females/juvies at one feeder this evening. Lots of nests hatched successfully this year for the Cardinals, Phoebes, Wrens, Nuthatch, and Chickadees

Here are some pictures I've taken this year. :)

Cardinal
IMG_0336.JPG

Wild turkey just strolling down the road. :)
IMG_0347.JPG

red-winged blackbird
IMG_0666.JPG

catbird
IMG_0750.JPG

house wren
IMG_0914.JPG

eastern bluebird
IMG_0924 (2).JPG

yellow-rumped warbler
IMG_0952 (2).JPG

bald eagle--juvenile
IMG_1088 (2).JPG

IMG_1099 (2).JPG

baltimore oriole
IMG_1208.JPG

barn swallow
IMG_1316 (2).JPG

cedar waxwing
IMG_1367.JPG

goldfinch
IMG_1369.JPG

bald eagle--adult
IMG_1535.JPG

orchard oriole--male
IMG_1826 (2).JPG

great blue heron
IMG_1844.JPG

song sparrow
IMG_1889.JPG

More...

mother and newly fledged cardinal baby (taken through a window)
IMG_1910.JPG

turkey vultures fighting over a raccoon I "gifted" them. ;)
IMG_1941 (2).JPG

IMG_1942 (2).JPG

yellow bellied sapsuckers--male and female
IMG_2187.JPG

chipping sparrow
IMG_1959.JPG

ospreys--looks like a clutch of 3 babies and two adults. :)
IMG_2370 (3).JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

Back
Top Bottom