Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

what are Yall FAvorite "how to books" on cultured vegetables or fermented veggies???? I saw the Storey one at TSC selling for listed price like $25....
Our local library is closed rest of month.( The DA are moving to their new taxpaper funded building. RAH....
and this little DA town doesnt even have a Krogers or Aldis... but they sure can buy land and build new jails and court houses etc w/o my approval.)
Yeah I know there is free stuff on line , videos etc but I like having a book in front of me...
Thanks all

Started making meads about 2 years ago as i have a good supply of local wildflower honey and reasonable prices per gallon. Ive varied recipies from show meads to melomels and everything in between. I REALLY enjoy utilizing wild blueberry when making it although i do need to try some different things out. Im expecting a good strawberry harvest this year while the wild blueberry plants get used to the replanting in the back yard so i will surely vary different recipies with them. I will also be enjoying attempts at actual wines (wild grapes and sugar) and attempts at some beers thru the summer. Ive got some tasy belgian recipies im dying to try out. .. time will tell

Started making meads about 2 years ago as i have a good supply of local wildflower honey and reasonable prices per gallon. Ive varied recipies from show meads to melomels and everything in between. I REALLY enjoy utilizing wild blueberry when making it although i do need to try some different things out. Im expecting a good strawberry harvest this year while the wild blueberry plants get used to the replanting in the back yard so i will surely vary different recipies with them. I will also be enjoying attempts at actual wines (wild grapes and sugar) and attempts at some beers thru the summer. Ive got some tasy belgian recipies im dying to try out. .. time will tell

Hi and welcome to the thread! Thanks for sharing about the ferments you have in the hopper and on the horizon.

Lucky you, having that kind of honey connection. I stopped making Jun tea because the honey is hard to come by (and pricey)...I'm envious.
smile.png

How about making a blueberry belgian? I've dabbled in beer brewing, but I've learned that I prefer making smaller batches - dealing with 5 and 6 gallon carboys (especially the cleaning!) and 7 gallon brew kettles is a pain. I'm going to try some all-grain gallon kits and see where that takes me.

Best of luck with your brewing adventures! Please come back and let us know how they're going.

A blueberry belgian is a possibility after i get my feet wet with beers this summer. While ive dabbled in the meads for 2 years i havent attempted any beers yet. Im going for a Harpoon UFO clone for my first batch and vary the recipe from there depending how the original comes out. Everything i play with is 5 gallon carboys. Its either 5 gallons of pure joy or 5 gallons of pure hell every time

The honey connection is nice. Runs about $40/gallon with a 5 gallon min. Im typically good for about 10 gallons a season so far. The friends and family love it around christmas and birthdays because they know ill be giving them something joyful to drink on...

It’s on my new skill list this year. First step is learning to brew kombucha
@AnchoredHomestead, Here is a link about kombucha. I learned a lot on this site.

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/what-is-kombucha

And this one if you want to make your own SCOBY from scratch.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-kombucha-scoby-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202596

I've been making my own kombucha for a few years now. Love the stuff! It's (mostly) gotten me to stop drinking pop (soda).

I also make my own yogurt. It's (mostly) gotten me to stop eating ice cream, and home made is soooo much better, and better for you than the crap you buy in the store. Some of it isn't even yogurt!

It’s on my new skill list this year. First step is learning to brew kombucha
Great choice for a first ferment. :highfive:Kombucha is a staple in my household, but there are so many other awesome live beverages, it'll be tough to choose your next one!

A couple of resources: Yemoos, Cultures for Health. Lots of info on those sites on many types of cultures.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom