Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

I ferment my chicken and duck feed, but I also enjoy fermenting for human consumption. Currently, I have the following ferments going: water kefir, milk kefir, (regular) kombucha tea, yerba mate kombucha tea, and lacto-fermented poblano peppers. I also have lacto-fermented jalapeño peppers and sauerkraut, finished, in the fridge. New projects include berry wine and a dark beer in primary ferment. Oh, and sourdough starter being fed daily on the counter.

Anyone else doing ferments? BTW, the chickens enjoy the fruit left over after straining the kefir and kombucha second ferments, as well as the extra kombucha scobies, too!

Revisiting the wines I mentioned in this original post...tasted one of the ciders (there were 2, one was drinkable but yeast so it's doing some additional aging) that really had no flavor at all so I dumped it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mixed fruit wine was ready to drink and very tasty! Not too sweet, but there's definitely a hint of blueberry there, and a nice color. The recipe used frozen berries, so it's easy to acquire the ingredients, too. Definitely a keeper.
yesss.gif

That sounds awesome, FFN. I have been branching out into lacto-veggies and fruits, but still haven't attempted wine or mead. Although my attempt at ginger beer might have been flammable...

That sounds awesome, FFN. I have been branching out into lacto-veggies and fruits, but still haven't attempted wine or mead. Although my attempt at ginger beer might have been flammable...
I havnt been doing anything new. I did make fermented apple cider over the weekend though

Flammable?? Cool, how did you do that?

I havnt been doing anything new. I did make fermented apple cider over the weekend though

Flammable?? Cool, how did you do that?
How'd the cider turn out? The one I kept needed some backsweetening, but is definitely drinkable. Not sure what happened to the one I ended up dumping, but I'm speculating that the glass jug I used wasn't completely free of wine residue (despite cleaning) and a contaminant ruined it.

How'd the cider turn out? The one I kept needed some backsweetening, but is definitely drinkable. Not sure what happened to the one I ended up dumping, but I'm speculating that the glass jug I used wasn't completely free of wine residue (despite cleaning) and a contaminant ruined it.
I did the cheater fermented cider. Yeast in normal cider, just till it gets bubbly and pops out the bottom of the bottle. I like it, no one else in my family does...
hmm.png

A week or two ago I tried to do that with ginger beer, to see if a bug was really necessary. (Everyone please note; a bug is necessary.) It was so awful.....
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
I did the cheater fermented cider. Yeast in normal cider, just till it gets bubbly and pops out the bottom of the bottle. I like it, no one else in my family does...
hmm.png

A week or two ago I tried to do that with ginger beer, to see if a bug was really necessary. (Everyone please note; a bug is necessary.) It was so awful.....
sickbyc.gif
Ok, now we know.
lau.gif

What's that cider taste like - is it yeasty or cider-y? Do you add any spices?

You can definitely taste the yeast. That's the part the family doesn't like....I don't mind it at all
big_smile.png

I just leave it plain, I don't know what else I would put in there (other than cinnamon, which I'm not a huge fan of...)

You know, I'm ok with some yeastiness, but it was the dominant flavor in the cider I kept...aging it seems to have helped, but it wasn't a hint - more like a bite. I'm going to move on to other country wines - carrot, raisin, and grapefruit all sound interesting. Raisin would be pretty easy since I have lots of them in my pantry already.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom