Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

Hello!! Does my sourdough starter still look fine? Besides the "hooch" on top :lol:
Hi! :frow How long has it been since you fed it? Here's what mine looks like:
Even if it's not overly active right now, I'd feed it, put it somewhere warm, and see what happens.

I use 1/2 cup of unbleached flour (don't use bleached - I tried using some I bought in error and the starter was not happy) to 1/4 cup dechlorinated water (chlorinated water could retard the starter's activity). Good luck!

Last edited:
I lacto fermented some purple cabbage sauerkraut and garden beans awhile ago... I love my fermented products very salty. I have been removing the lacto veggies from the container and putting salt on just before eating because I am scared adding lots of salt directly to the lacto fermenting containers will kill the good lacto bugs. Does anyone know if salt will kill off the good lacto bugs or does salt just inhibit bugs from growing?

I lacto fermented some purple cabbage sauerkraut and garden beans awhile ago... I love my fermented products very salty. I have been removing the lacto veggies from the container and putting salt on just before eating because I am scared adding lots of salt directly to the lacto fermenting containers will kill the good lacto bugs. Does anyone know if salt will kill off the good lacto bugs or does salt just inhibit bugs from growing?
It seems there's a "sweet spot" for salinity in the brine: too much salt will inhibit growth of the good bacteria and too little may allow mold and bad bacteria to grow. I don't like mine too salty, so I use as little salt as possible (while still maintaining a safe level) and add whey from milk kefir to the ferment.

I find that Cultures for Health has a lot of good information about fermenting - here's an article you may find helpful: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/natural-fermentation/how-much-salt-brine/.

Have you also made sauerkraut from green cabbage? I really prefer purple cabbage SK...it tastes a bit sweeter and is just tastier, IMO.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom