Any fermentation fans (fanatics?) here?

is that the starter for the ginger beer ? I didnt see how you did that.if it is a starter how do you get a starter?
Just the blender part
thanks
The yeast will land in it and start naturally.
Or you can jumpstart it by putting yeast or probiotic in. It feeds on the sugar and produces carbon dioxide bubbles

You called it a bug. You showed your container of "bug"
I checked YOUTUBE and the guy started his"bug" with grated ginger and sugar and fed it daily.
Oh how do yeast land in it? LOL

Dunno! Somehow they sneak in there
1f601.png

That how I did mine, I got the method and recipes from herehttp://wellnessmama.com/8942/ginger-bug/
http://wellnessmama.com/8945/ginger-ale/

I did yogurt again last night. I told myself not to use old packages of Yogourmet cultures, To use fresh Organic Stonyfield yogurt for a starter instead. checked it while ago and not thickened at all. USED Double boiler like 2/3 of a half gallon of whole milk Vision ware pans it to about 170 instead of 180 degrees and tried to cool to 110 or so and added that freeze dried 2 packages of culture.. The dang Yogourmet instructions said o cool to 77 degrees or so....
But it in a lunch type cooler padded bag with 2 kitchen towels after putting it in a fat glass jar.
so do I have to start over again and waste the farm fresh milk?
last time used crock pot and forgot about it and it turned to cottage cheese. LOL but at least it got eaten. First time used crock pot and did good.
I think I have a soy milk maker at other house. Guy on Youtube used a coffee maker to "ferment after adding starter. I even bought a digital probe Taylor timer thermometer couple months ago and haven't opened the package
cause I don't know how to use it with a regular saucepan or pot. pan... It prob just meant for an oven.
It just mentions oven use on package. I found instructions for another one in one of my kitchen drawers. LOL But don't know what i did with THAT TAYLOR unit
prob bought it before moving here.
unfortunately my upstairs present oven doesn't have an outer light switch so cant use it to keep yogurt warm. Oven itself only has 200 degrees lowest setting
Did I ask yall if yall ever tried a warming tray?
I know I used to belong to kefir forums
thanks all

My first few batches of lacto-fermented veggies are almost ready to go! I am experimenting with carrot sticks and lacto-pickles. So far so good.

@FoodFreedomNow, I haven't gotten around to starting the mead yet, but I am hoping to this weekend. Anyone have any favorite lacto-fermented veggies they'd recommend?

My first few batches of lacto-fermented veggies are almost ready to go! I am experimenting with carrot sticks and lacto-pickles. So far so good.

@FoodFreedomNow, I haven't gotten around to starting the mead yet, but I am hoping to this weekend. Anyone have any favorite lacto-fermented veggies they'd recommend?
Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing how they turn out.

I like making sauerkraut (especially with red/purple cabbage), and I made fermented jalapeños and poblanos this summer - all turned out great. I use whey from my milk kefir so I can decrease the amount of salt in the brine.

Good luck with the mead! Am enjoying my porter now and have a few fruit wines that will be ready this month.
1f642.png

Ok, the peppers are a must. I tried the whey in some kvass, and didn't take a shine to the flavor it added. But that was fruit, so I'll give it a try. I also think the ratio I used was higher than it needed to be. I'll be toying with that, too.

Hard cider update: after a couple of months of aging, I tasted cider batch #2 and it was still pretty yeasty. I'll let it go for a few more months and see if the yeasty flavor subsides. It was also very dry, so I added a non-fermentable sweetener (stevia). I used wine yeast for the first two batches and plan to try champagne yeast in the next one.

Back
Top Bottom