Kraut and Kimche Recipes

I too hope to see some posts regarding recipes and experience. I was just looking at the link for Amazon and added a 10 L to my cart
smile.png
I may have to arm wrestle the DH since he makes his own Kimchee.

andalusn, I read all the good reviews from Amazon and got the 10L as well
smile.png

My SO and I started some weinkraut this last Sunday and it's a little "smelly" if I put my nose close to the crock, but not foul smelling. We'll see in about 3 weeks. I hope there's no scum or yeast on top. I read a couple of reviews (not on Amazon) saying that when the person opened his Harsch crock there was some yeast. So I hope I did it right.. It's in the laundry room in a cabinet.

My kraut in the Harsch crock is still doing its thing. I took it out of the laundry room cabinet because it was stinking the room up and I didn't want any complaints, so I put it upstairs in my bedroom.
lol.png

The smell is pleasant and I get used to it. It bubbles occasionally and that's when I can really smell the kraut, but overall I don't notice it. I do make sure to lift up the lid a little to let excess water back out from under the lid, then I add more water if needed. I will actually be checking its progress (i.e. opening it!) this weekend. The indoor temp. has been around 70-80 so I think the process is going faster than usual. No moldy or off odors, so I think
fl.gif
it will be fine!

I opened up the crock today and to my great and fortunate surprise everything was fine!!
celebrate.gif

There was a little sliminess on the tops of the weights but NONE on the bottoms where they were touching the cabbage. Also, none of the kraut was slimy AT ALL. I used white wine as my extra "brine" so my kraut has a pleasant wine-y flavor. The dill and garlic worked well. Additionally the kraut is a little crunchy and does not taste like raw cabbage. The tartness is superb - just what I was looking for. Better than Frank's and almost like Hengstenberg Bavarian-style.
woot.gif

Next up is some giardinieria!

Back
Top Bottom