Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pics

ojust4today

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2016
Chester, Maryland
I found one egg completely broken and this cracked egg. This has happened a few times where they have broken or cracked never cracked to this extent. These eggs are precious to me. Would the ducks crack their own eggs and if not what could put a hole in such a hard egg. Both eggs were found outside of the coop on the ground. Mulch is their bedding and it’s raining it’s butt off here. Eastern Shore, MD
Thanks for any and all info.

Attachments

• B2DD39DD-BAC0-4728-AD33-9B0D7D5D88DE.jpeg
    B2DD39DD-BAC0-4728-AD33-9B0D7D5D88DE.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 14
One of female Scovies once in a while will open up and egg and feast if we don't find it in time. It happened last week. I was walking the perimeter of the yard and found an empty egg shell in the leaves. Sunshine, who buries her eggs, probably laid one there and we didn't find it, but the Scovy did.

Could be, Do you feed them whole eggs often?
No I don’t feed them eggs at all.
One of female Scovies once in a while will open up and egg and feast if we don't find it in time. It happened last week. I was walking the perimeter of the yard and found an empty egg shell in the leaves. Sunshine, who buries her eggs, probably laid one there and we didn't find it, but the Scovy did.
It looked like it could have been open up by her I just know how hard those shells are and did not consider that as a possibility.

Thanks for your responses. I have another duck related question. Usually my ducks have laid and are ready to roll when it is time for me to let them out the pin in the morning. The last couple mornings the females in nesting boxes and have no desire to leave their eggs. Three of them were practically sitting on each other. They were hissing at me and yesterday I watched one Kay an egg at 7. They usually always lay by then.
Why so many changes taking place all at once?
Any advice to this newbie to ducks.

Back
Top Bottom