Any Guesses What My New Puppy Is Mixed With?*PICS* He needs a name To!

I rescue dogs from the humane society and have to frequently try to figure out what breeds might be predominant in a certain dog so we can find a matching home. Look at the shape and set of the ears and tail, the overall size and coat and type of nose. See what breeds match it.
In your case you are quite lucky in that you are 100 percent sure about one half. And I would say that overall your dog does not look that different than many dogs that are called labs. Labs are kind of three types, the show type, the sporty type and the back yard type. I like them all! But you are looking for "un-lab" traits to identify the other breed.

Here is my impression of your pictures:
In photo number one, I don't see much shepherd. Those ears are lab ears and the nose is not at all shaped like a shepherd. It is more lab but a little squared off. In this shot your puppy looks to have a huge belly, I hope you take it to be wormed. It might just be the photo however.
In photo number four (can't get much from number two or three) you can see a white chest and a very flat-faced muzzle for a lab. However in number five, that is just a typical labrador retriever puppy mix face there! I think perhaps you are seeing some brindling markings on the legs where there is brown, is it somewhat striped brown? A flatter/broader face and brindle marking would suggest perhaps some breeds for you. Unfortunately that doesn't really narrow it down at all as many breed come in brindle.

In photo number eight your pup looks quite small. How old is it supposed to be? Sometimes guessing a breed is extremely hard at this age but at age one year you will have an easy time. It is harder to give you a good guess without knowing how old this puppy is. Something to keep in mind...what kind of dog is common in your area, and try to think about those breeds first. It is probably not half italian greyhound. lol. It is also not likely to be a purebred that was the dad since most dogs are not, so you might be thinking of what two other breeds (or more) your pup has in it.

Since labs can look so different, you will probably never know. You can just say it is a wonder dog, you wonder what it is!

Quote:
he does kind of look mostly lab but he has some tan on his feet (hard to see in pics) and also has white patches on his chest plus hes kinda fluffy so i dont think hes pure lab as labs dont have that, theyre usually a solid color although i think some white may be acceptable but they defiantely dont have tan feet, so i think hes mixed with something, im not too sure what though, but you're right, he probably is mostly lab but definately a mix, sorry. hes cute though.
love.gif
big_smile.png

lau.gif
I am POSITIVE he is not full lab! I dont live near where we got him so I dont know what kind of dogs are in her area, But I didnt go by what his siblings look like because of this!

oh and hes about 7/8 weeks old

32404_pict04951.jpg

Those are all hers minus 3 (already rehomed)

I see, maybe, Rottweiler, Sometype of border collie mix, Saint bernard? Lab? and lord knows what else. So I dont know LOL

Last edited:
I think that with dogs there can be more than one dog involved, That is what looks like is happing here. This large of litter is not controlled. The daddys can be lab mixes also. There are a lot of lab mixes now that the Labrador is the most popular dog in the USA. I can see some Rotty in the one puppy in the picture here. For a class of dogs mostly hunting which is not my area of expertise. Maybe on the outside a boarder collie lab mix on some of them.

Last edited:
I have to agree, it looks like the puppies here are two dads. Rottie type and a herding dog type. Based on the brindling and the square face, I would guess if your puppy is large you have a rottie/lab. If he isn't, you better keep guessing!

This is a good thing. I have known a couple of rottie/labs and they are awesome. One of the best dogs I have ever known was this mix, and I've known a lot of dogs so I don't say that lightly. Congrats.

Mamma sure had a rainbow litter! I agree....it looks like mom was running with 2-3 males. Rott, Pit and dunno?
They are all cute!

I used to run a dog rescue for 5 years and have rescued over 250 dogs most of which are puppies and It looks like to me from the pics of the other pups that the dad was Rottie, Border Colllie, & Queensland Heeler or there was more than one dad and that those dogs were Rottie, Border Collie, and Heeler. I would definitely say that your puppy is the Border Collie/Lab. He's definitely a mix though, purebred Labs aren't fuzzy and they aren't supposed to have any white spots. Cute pup though. Border Collie are supposed to be the smartest breed of dog although I had one and she was dumb as a box of rocks so I dont know how true that is.

Back
Top Bottom