Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I know what you mean about tasting it out of the jar. I make a gingerbread house every year and it smells so wonderful but the brand of molasses I was using was horrific.

Last year I tried to find the brands people report are the better tasting ones, and no one locally carries those, I did order some last year and even the blackstrap was more palatable from the jar. If y'all are interested, they are probably somewhere in the pantry and I could post the brand?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I would love that i honestly have major issues with mine even in baked good for some reason.

3. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    I would love to know the better brands. There were only two at the local supermarket today, and they pretty much taste the same. Thanks!

4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Last year close to Christmas I made gingerbread cookies for the first time. The recipe was on here from a member named sandesnow and it was really good. My decorating, eh, not so much but the cookies were tasty!

5. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Must have i love those things including ginger snaps mmmm i must bake tomorrow!! Ooo pumkin pie!! Ok i need non sweet sweets lol. I love mild sweet things like peppermint candies and such!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Ok, got them out and retasted just to be sure:

Golden Barrel Blackstrap Molasses - a true heavy blackstrap one - not sweet but not bad at all. It is a product of USA and bought it from Amazon.

DH bought me Grandma's Original Molasses - not blackstrap but is appropriate for cookies - has a recipe on the label. It is thinner than the blackstrap and almost as sweet as a cane syrup.

And now we'll all dream of GingerBread!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  7. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    YOU ROCK SUNFLOUR THANK YOU!!!!!

8. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I think the Grandma's is the one I used last year for the cookies.

Sunflour, are you making another gingerbread house this year?

9. chickenneighbor

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Homemade peppermint bark is one of my holiday favorites. And It's easy. You just melt some good semi-sweet chocolate in a square pan, and crumble some smashed peppermint over it. Let it cool, then melt some white chocolate with a few drops of peppermint oil, and pour it on top of the dark chocolate, and sprinkle some more crushed peppermint on top. Put it in the fridge until it sets, then try not to eat it all in one setting!

10. chickenneighbor

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks, Sunflower. I'll order the Golden Barrel next time I need molasses. I think there is something in the fall air that triggers the cookie baker genes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by