Any Home Bakers Here?

R2elk

Magical, perfect creature
Premium member
7 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
I found it at Wal-Mart.
The stuff you get at Walmart is not real buttermilk. They have improved the process of making butter to the point that what remains behind is not buttermilk. The stuff they sell in stores is "cultured" buttermilk.

If you want real buttermilk, you have to make it yourself.

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project manager
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
I tried the "extra tangy" sourdough bread again. Tried making 2 "hamburger rolls" with some of the dough and ended up with 2 dinner rolls. I've found the hamburger roll recipes that DMC and NFC posted and will try those. The bread came out better (looking, finished baking well after dinner last night) than the last time. I definitely rose higher. I did knead it a fair bit more than the first time. Some of it will be garlic bread tonight.
View attachment 2036334
Nice!

jnicholes

Crowing
Feb 16, 2017
The stuff you get at Walmart is not real buttermilk. They have improved the process of making butter to the point that what remains behind is not buttermilk. The stuff they sell in stores is "cultured" buttermilk.

No offense, but I think you misunderstood. I was talking about goats milk.

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project manager
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop

I think the post was about goats milk?

Home made buttermilk is very good!

Latest posts

Top Bottom