Any Home Bakers Here?

So, again many years ago, our newspaper used to have a recipe section. I cut this piece out of the paper and saved it all these years thinking I would try these Half Moon Cookie recipes ... I haven't yet.

newspaperrecipes01.jpg

And, to show how old this is, here's the back of this newspaper clipping. Pork chops cost $1.38 and $1.85 per pound. :)

newspaperrecipes02.jpg

I have a favorite recipe book the ladies of Wisconsin county made
a cook book in 1961 I use that as my go to book love it
Very cool! I have a book called Watkins Household Hints. It was printed in 1941 and cost $1.50. It has EVERYTHING -- what gloves to buy for driving cars, how to buy a mattress, gardening, cleaning, laundry hints, cooking ... Totally mind-boggling!

Last edited:
I'm pretty convinced Bobby Flay just makes good food, like Emeril or Paul Prudhomme when it comes to cajun cooking. I have a pretty good success rate in finding good recipes.
I don't think those guys got famous by pushing "bad" recipes just because they tried to come up with something new ;)

You can make buttermilk from adding a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk. For the muffin recipe, I added 1 Tablespoon lemon juice to regular milk to equal the 1 cup needed for the recipe.
Or maybe even use real buttermilk?? I wonder how much difference it would make in the final product.

The statutes specifically say I can't say local or fresh. Free range or organic might be ok I suppose.
pffffft! OK, the suggestion for describing your "product" that followed was good. There was kinda an uproar some years ago when things were being brought in from MA and claimed to be Local. Um, not really, not unless you live in Brattleboro and the stuff as grown just over the border a few miles south. 200 miles isn't "local". So I guess "local" would have to have some sort of "legal" description which doesn't exist.

Well, I just had goat milk for the first time. I like it, and my mom and dad liked it.
Where did you find it?

I tried the "extra tangy" sourdough bread again. Tried making 2 "hamburger rolls" with some of the dough and ended up with 2 dinner rolls. I've found the hamburger roll recipes that DMC and NFC posted and will try those. The bread came out better (looking, finished baking well after dinner last night) than the last time. I definitely rose higher. I did knead it a fair bit more than the first time. Some of it will be garlic bread tonight.
DSCN1960.JPG

I don't think those guys got famous by pushing "bad" recipes just because they tried to come up with something new ;)

Or maybe even use real buttermilk?? I wonder how much difference it would make in the final product.

pffffft! OK, the suggestion for describing your "product" that followed was good. There was kinda an uproar some years ago when things were being brought in from MA and claimed to be Local. Um, not really, not unless you live in Brattleboro and the stuff as grown just over the border a few miles south. 200 miles isn't "local". So I guess "local" would have to have some sort of "legal" description which doesn't exist.

Where did you find it?

I tried the "extra tangy" sourdough bread again. Tried making 2 "hamburger rolls" with some of the dough and ended up with 2 dinner rolls. I've found the hamburger roll recipes that DMC and NFC posted and will try those. The bread came out better (looking, finished baking well after dinner last night) than the last time. I definitely rose higher. I did knead it a fair bit more than the first time. Some of it will be garlic bread tonight.
View attachment 2036334

I found it at Wal-Mart.

I found it at Wal-Mart.
The stuff you get at Walmart is not real buttermilk. They have improved the process of making butter to the point that what remains behind is not buttermilk. The stuff they sell in stores is "cultured" buttermilk.

If you want real buttermilk, you have to make it yourself.

View attachment 2036334
Nice!

The stuff you get at Walmart is not real buttermilk. They have improved the process of making butter to the point that what remains behind is not buttermilk. The stuff they sell in stores is "cultured" buttermilk.

If you want real buttermilk, you have to make it yourself.

No offense, but I think you misunderstood. I was talking about goats milk.

Back
Top Bottom