Any Home Bakers Here?

110? Is that the temperature?Fahrenheit? Or the amount? this is my yeast, it’s commercial yeast so maybe that’s it?
It is a problem going between countries and temperatures!

Instant yeast has been processed so that you do not have to proof it. Usually you add the yeast to some of the flour and other dry ingredients and then add 120 to 130F water and stir for a couple of minutes. Then oil and other ingredients are added.

I have been putting the yeast in with 85F water and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. It will dissolve. Then I add the rest of the ingredients.

Activating the yeast sounds like an issue. Another one can be propper kneading

What a great thread! I try indeed but find it very difficult to bake a bread that rises well.. Here in Europe a lot of people use a breadbaking machine. Don’t know if that’s the same overseas. I’d like to try without as the machine will take up space in the cupboards and if I put it in storage, I’m certainly never going to use it. Will look into your recipes! Great!.

Hello, thanks for joining us!

It is a problem going between countries and temperatures!

Instant yeast has been processed so that you do not have to proof it. Usually you add the yeast to some of the flour and other dry ingredients and then add 120 to 130F water and stir for a couple of minutes. Then oil and other ingredients are added.

I have been putting the yeast in with 85F water and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. It will dissolve. Then I add the rest of the ingredients.

Activating the yeast sounds like an issue. Another one can be propper kneading
I’m going to try this weekend and let you know how it goes

Well, it took a while, but I finally found all four Lincoln commemoratives.

20200604_124347.jpg

I'm also making clam chowder tonight.

What a great thread! I try indeed but find it very difficult to bake a bread that rises well.. Here in Europe a lot of people use a breadbaking machine. Don’t know if that’s the same overseas. I’d like to try without as the machine will take up space in the cupboards and if I put it in storage, I’m certainly never going to use it. Will look into your recipes! Great!.
Keep in mind that most of the bread makers out here are better than me. But I like to proof my yeast regardless. I prefer instant as it's more forgiving. I add about 14g of yeast to 40.5C water along with about 7g of sugar, cover and let set about 15 minutes. Then proceed with adding the other liquids into the water, then the dry ingredients on top and mix. I use a stand mixer but it can be mixed by hand. Debby's refrigerator dough makes a wonderful artisan loaf in a dutch oven inside the oven. I remember what kitchens were like in the Netherlands. Space is a real issue, unless they've changed in the last 20 years. :D

Back
Top Bottom