Any Home Bakers Here?

It's all the way up to zero now.
Whoo hoo!!!

I like pellet stove heat better. It stays more even where wood stove heat has a tendency to go up when you add more wood until it starts burning down making it time to add more wood.
I have yet to find a pellet tree out in my woods ;)

We had a fire here yesterday. Sadly I may not be able to get a pellet stove here. We do have air quality issues so the rules are changing.
I would think a pellet stove would be less polluting than a wood stove since it is a very controlled burn.

Maybe. Willing to TRY.
I bet we can figure out a way for a pellet stove to work for you.

Regarding the weight of the bags: What I have done with 50 pound layer pellet bags when my back is bad is to lay the 5 gallon metal can I store them in on its side and slide it over the end of the bag that has the "zip strip" to open it. Pull the strip then push the can farther over the bag. Then I start lifting the bag and can together and the feed falls out of the bag into the can. I don't have to lift the entire 50 pounds very long. This might work for pellets too? Or maybe one can just leave a bag of pellets open in the garage or shed since there probably is little likelihood animals will eat it.

I have never had a pellet stove but I suspect you don't need to wait until the hopper is empty, you can probably dump a 2 gallon pail of pellets from the 5 gallon can or open bag so you wouldn't have to haul an entire bag into the house. If you have someone who is willing to help, it might be worth getting a 10 gallon can which hopefully would hold a 2 or 3 of bags of pellets(?) and your friendly helper wouldn't have to help too often.

Whoo hoo!!!

I have yet to find a pellet tree out in my woods ;)

I would think a pellet stove would be less polluting than a wood stove since it is a very controlled burn.

I bet we can figure out a way for a pellet stove to work for you.

Regarding the weight of the bags: What I have done with 50 pound layer pellet bags when my back is bad is to lay the 5 gallon metal can I store them in on its side and slide it over the end of the bag that has the "zip strip" to open it. Pull the strip then push the can farther over the bag. Then I start lifting the bag and can together and the feed falls out of the bag into the can. I don't have to lift the entire 50 pounds very long. This might work for pellets too? Or maybe one can just leave a bag of pellets open in the garage or shed since there probably is little likelihood animals will eat it.

I have never had a pellet stove but I suspect you don't need to wait until the hopper is empty, you can probably dump a 2 gallon pail of pellets from the 5 gallon can or open bag so you wouldn't have to haul an entire bag into the house. If you have someone who is willing to help, it might be worth getting a 10 gallon can which hopefully would hold a 2 or 3 of bags of pellets(?) and your friendly helper wouldn't have to help too often.
You are making it MOST Desirable. I have a Laundry room and
I could store the Pellet in there. Right now I cannot because I do
not have a Woodshed. IT WAS DESTROYED by the FIRE. Must wait till things get MORE Normal. I could store several BAGS in
the Laundry Room and the bulk in the NEW Wood shed. Many
issues to review. AND I will have the time to REVIEW. Thank you
ALL. So happy to have you guys in my World.

You are making it MOST Desirable. I have a Laundry room and
I could store the Pellet in there. Right now I cannot because I do
not have a Woodshed. IT WAS DESTROYED by the FIRE. Must wait till things get MORE Normal. I could store several BAGS in
the Laundry Room and the bulk in the NEW Wood shed. Many
issues to review. AND I will have the time to REVIEW. Thank you
ALL. So happy to have you guys in my World.
A pellet stove will typically go through one 40 lb. bag a day unless it's really cold like now in which case I am going through two 40 lb. bags a day.

The hopper will normally hold around 50 lbs. so that it doesn't run out before the next 40 lb. bag is added. It is not necessary to add a full bag at a time. Many people pour their pellets into a bucket before adding to the stove hopper to help get rid of some of the fines.

I have yet to find a pellet tree out in my woods
Me either but then at the time I wasn't finding any firewood there either. I was buying firewood in log length in semi loads once a fall.

When I got to the point that I was still cutting and splitting firewood in nasty temperatures in January, I switched to a pellet stove.

A pellet stove will typically go through one 40 lb. bag a day unless it's really cold like now in which case I am going through two 40 lb. bags a day.

The hopper will normally hold around 50 lbs. so that it doesn't run out before the next 40 lb. bag is added. It is not necessary to add a full bag at a time. Many people pour their pellets into a bucket before adding to the stove hopper to help get rid of some of the fines.
Thank you for any INFORMATION. We have our own woods and
we BURNED WOOD ALWAYS. Now with my Floyd GONE. I with
a healing broken Hip...am not living in the same Happy World. AND
the FIRE certainly did NOT HELP. Thanks again.

A pellet stove will typically go through one 40 lb. bag a day
How much does a 40 lb. bag cost?

I thought that sounded like a lot, but I realized that we burn probably 50-60 lbs. of wood a day.

It's going to get so cold tonight that we'll let the fire die and the furnace come on. That'll heat the basement and mudroom some. They don't get any heat from the woodstove.

How much does a 40 lb. bag cost?
Depends on where you are and the quality of the pellets. I paid $309 a ton for a pallet of 50 sacks of high quality pellets. With tax it brought it to approximately $6.46 a sack. One local store is selling high quality oak pellets for $9 per 40 lb. sack.
It's going to get so cold tonight that we'll let the fire die and the furnace come on. That'll heat the basement and mudroom some. They don't get any heat from the wood stove.
All I have available is electric baseboard heat in the basement. I have them turned off at the breakers so there is no heat in the basement. I use the pellet stove in the living room as the only source of heat in the house.

Back
Top Bottom