Any Home Bakers Here?

And the $2000 for the splitter,
Sally,, I have you beat here. Got this one many years ago,, and still going STRONG.. Of course the volume I split is small compared to your needs.
When I was less in age,, I just did it with a steel wedge/splitter, and a sledge hammer. It would work up an appetite afterwards

This is current price.. I think I paid about half that,,,, long ago. :idunno
image_2024-01-18_144300545.png

When I was less in age,, I just did it with a steel wedge/splitter, and a sledge hammer. It would work up an appetite afterwards
So did hubby. But we have some walnut, and it fights you all the way through the log. We also have some BIG trees that we've cut/have fallen. Bigger than hubby can split now, at his age.

This is a 40 ton splitter, and it'll handle anything hubby can maneuver into splitting position. Yeah, it's a BEAST! and will be in our will.

And maybe, if we cooked on our wood stove, this tangent would have something to do with baking! :gig

During the extreme colds, I run a wood stove inside my garage. I just try to keep a above freezing temperature to provide housing for my feral rescue cats, and winter housing for my chickens.
Something to consider for a similar situation. Numerous people have converted old pot belly stoves to oil burners. They burn used oil that is available for free. Store it in an elevated barrel and run a drip line into the stove. Setting a fan behind the stove aids in circulating the heat.

Good ole wood: Much easier to get FREE. Not for everyone.
I have never found any firewood that is completely free. There is the cost of converting the wood into usable sizes and the storage and drying of said wood.

Around here there are not many sources of "free wood".

Was this :drool:drool:drool:drool cake baked in a pot??? or done stovetop???
Done on a stovetop in a pot, you heat up a pot, put the cake batter in when it has heated up and put a mobile hotplate on low on top of the pot. It is good if you are in a hurry and does use as much electricity as a big regular stove. You just have to watch out the top of the cake doesn’t get too dark, kind of hard to regulate that 😬 the cake doesn’t turn out as perfect as in a baking oven, but as I said,if you are in a hurry and less energy 😉

I personally like wood heat, if you use good wood like oak or beech, the heat doesn’t go up and down, but stays on the same level. Since most of my oak is gone, I bought 2 cords of beech briquettes, am disappointed, they burn way faster than oak , they don’t produce as much ash though..also, I can heat up the house way warmer than with natural gas. If I heated up the house with natural gas like I do with wood, I couldn’t afford anything else except heating the house 🤪 ever since the conflict with Russia and the Ukraine, the price of heating had gone through the roof, it doesn’t matter whatever you use…😬

For the past year I've been learning how to bake yeast breads here at home. It's been challenging and rewarding (when it all comes together right, lol).

Today for the 1st time I made up a Boule recipe and ran into a snag. Is there anyone here that's familiar with yeast breads? Since I'm here several times a day reading about chickens, it would be great to chat with others that also bake.
===================================================
Updated 07-18-21: To find all the great recipes posted in this thread, click on one of the links below to go to a Google spreadsheet (then use the links in the spreadsheet to locate each recipe):

Baker Thread Index

Bread, Rolls, Pizza bases, starters

Cookies and Bars

Dinners and Vegetables

Desserts

Snacks, Sweets

Misc and Everything Else

Hints, Tips and How-to's

Years ago I made the world's best bread and would love to share the recepie, but I cannot.
It was a result of a series of mistakes and then my attempts to correct them.
Originally it starters because the dough was too wet. I added flour and added too much.
Suddenly I found myself trying to get the mixture correct but could not. I remembers adding dry yeast into it, and more sugar or honey and then salt. Eventually I ran out of white, rye and wheat flour. In the end I was adding gluten free flour and then at the very end corn meal. LOL
I had more than twice the amount of dough than I intended.
The end result however was the best bread I have ever tested and in my youth I had lived across the street from a European bakery that had amazing breeds.
Sadly, I can never reproduce it.

Back
Top Bottom