Any Home Bakers Here?

This is my grandma's recipe (I think she got it from the paper). The cooked whipped frosting is much much better then cream cheese, the CC is too heavy for the light chocolate flavor. I love it with the strawberry cake though. Buttercream is often too sweet, but it is super easy so I will use it sometimes (but not for red cake).
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ounces red food coloring
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Cream together the shortening, sugar, and eggs.
  2. Make a paste with food coloring and cocoa. Add to shortening mixture.
  3. Add salt and buttermilk to mixture.
  4. Next add flour, vanilla, vinegar, and baking soda in that order. Mix.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in two 8 inch round greased and floured cake pans. Let cool.
    • Level cakes. Spread frosting on each half layer. Stack and frost over all.
  1. To Make Frosting: Cook cornstarch and 1 cup milk until thick, and then cool.
  2. Cream together 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 1 cup butter or margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla 'til fluffy. Add to flour mixture.
I'm intrigued by the frosting, but at the very end of the directions it says "Add to flour mixture". Am I missing something? :idunno

I'm intrigued by the frosting, but at the very end of the directions it says "Add to flour mixture". Am I missing something?
idunno.gif

The cornstarch mixture. IDK why it says flour. I think there are some versions that use flour instead of cornstarch, but I have always done cornstarch. I do wonder if milk jam or even evaporated milk would work, but I haven't tried that either. Really though you just cream the flour and sugar like you would an American buttercream, and then slowly pour in the thickened milk and mix it all together. I have added cocoa powder to it also to make chocolate.

@sunflour , we had breakfast casserole this morning. I did your recipe with some of @wyoDreamer variations and it was so good! Really hit the spot after getting up early to take care of all the critters. Thanks to both of you for the inspiration!

Good morning! Anyone doing any baking this weekend?

Yesterday I spent all morning in the kitchen (boule, deviled eggs, potato salad, 2 pastry crusts for DH to make quiche). Don't know what I'll work on this weekend but we are in "need" (lol) of some sort of desert.

What's everyone been up to? @Alice28 , did you get your oven running again?

I baked 2 Amish Friendship Bread recipes... Double chocolate chip muffins and apple streusel cake. Both turned out really yummy.

Does anyone have experience with fresh coconut? I house sat for my neighbors who spent a couple of weeks in FL> They always bring us a big box of citrus fruits and this year it included a coconut. I honestly don't even know where to start lol

Any ideas?

Good morning! Anyone doing any baking this weekend?

Yesterday I spent all morning in the kitchen (boule, deviled eggs, potato salad, 2 pastry crusts for DH to make quiche). Don't know what I'll work on this weekend but we are in "need" (lol) of some sort of desert.

What's everyone been up to? @Alice28 , did you get your oven running again?

I am making a German Chocolate cake today!

I baked 2 Amish Friendship Bread recipes... Double chocolate chip muffins and apple streusel cake. Both turned out really yummy.

Does anyone have experience with fresh coconut? I house sat for my neighbors who spent a couple of weeks in FL> They always bring us a big box of citrus fruits and this year it included a coconut. I honestly don't even know where to start lol

Any ideas?

I happen to have some coconut experience! Does yours still have the green outer pod on it or has that been removed and you have the brown hairy kind?

I am making a German Chocolate cake today!

Ooooh, that sounds so good!
droolin.gif

DH's b-day is next week so can't bake a cake until then, I'll have to see if that would work for him.

Taking a break from baking….gotta lose a few pounds
hit.gif

But can't gain hearing about what y'all are baking.
Good for you with the willpower! Read all you want, it's calorie-free.
wink.png

@NorthFLChick

Not a dessert, but baking another breakfast casserole for supper tonite..
ya.gif

Had a roast thawing but wasn't ready.

Willpower, smillflour..can't buy a new wardrobe...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom