Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Get one!

They are not very expensive and last a life time.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I bought a pricy pan a few years ago for pound cake. My tube pan would not hold the batter. This one is Nordic pound/angel food pan and it did work fine for my AF Cake. the tube hole was too small to balance on a bottle, but it is taller than the sides of the pan and I just set it upside down on a cooling rack. Although pricy, it works great for pound cakes, so does get used quite often in my house…..
    It is hand wash, but most good pans these days are. Although it has non stick surface the AF cake did well, and did stick..lol.

[​IMG]

3. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick

If you do get Ga peaches this year…try to find the Elberta's. Not too many grow them anymore, but they are so sweet and reliable. Most peaches grown in our area now are GMO…look good, but not sweet. Last non-Elberta's I bought had black stuff around the seeds….the entire box was tossed to the woods…Stay away from any early season peaches…they are all horrible.

Elberta's come in late in July.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

x2! And look at it this way...the angel food cake is pretty inexpensive to make as long as you have the eggs. So whatever you spend on the pan, will be balanced out by saving money on ingredients! See, baking reasoning in action.

5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the tip sunflour. The best peaches I've ever eaten were bought from various roadside stands and were from GA. Don't know the variety, but every time we've bought them from various stands, they have been wonderful. Peach cobbler is one of my favorite desserts (and peaches in oatmeal is a great breakfast) but I could easily eat plain ones every day.

I'll look for the Elberta's.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Funny, I would not eat peach cobbler growing up, but love it now.. I freeze Elberta's every year and make cobblers. My recipe is so simple, got it from Dickie farms web site - they don't have Elberta's and neither does Lane packing = the 2 largest shippers in Ga. Wish I knew who could ship Elberta's. The man who owns the farm we have been buying from died this past year….really hope his wife and family keep it all growing and going.

Elberta peaches originated in Marshallville, Ga. Elberta was the wife of the originator. We buy ours near Montezuma.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Do you use something in your peach's to keep them from turning brown in the freezer? (Not that I ever have any left over for freezing!)

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Yes, all I do is use Fruit Fresh. I boil, like tomatoes to remove the skin, slice, add fruit fresh ( mixed in water by jar directions) and place in Zip Lock vacuum bags. They last over a year. Used in cobbler they taste as good as fresh. When I take them out, I defrost i microwave with 1/2 of the cobbler recipe sugar - they come out juicy and great. But, I have only used them for cobblers.

Last season ventured out and canned some of the peaches….really pretty good. Did some spiced peaches canned - only OK-won't waste those again.

The frozen peaches taste fresh, the canned ones, just taste better than store bought canned peaches. So if you want to use in cobblers, I would recommend freezing.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'll try not to eat them all up fresh so I can try freezing some. They would be especially delicious in the winter.

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    I love frozen peaches. I cut off a chunk of frozen peaches and use in smoothies all the time. I used a little lemon juice and sugar on mine when freezing, not much sugar - maybe a tablespoon for a bag of peaches. I made peach butter, and to some I added whisky, rum or brandy. The rum peaches were good, the southern comfort peaches were great - we call them peach comfort and use it as a topping for ice cream.

I hope I can score some peaches now that I am here in northern Wisconsin. In Wyoming, I used to buy a couple cases of peaches from a lady in town. Her sister and brother-in-law had a truck and would haul in cases of fruit, then she would sell it out of her garage. I bought peaches, cherries and apples from her - brought in from Idaho, Utah and Washington. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by